Sr Dir. Engineering, Projects, and Outages
Requisition ID # 145762
Job Category: Nuclear Generation
Job Level: Senior Director
Business Unit: Generation
Work Type: Onsite
Job Location: Avila Beach
The Senior Director, Nuclear Engineering, Projects, and Outages provides overall strategic direction and oversight to the Strategic Continued Projects, Engineering Services, and Outages, ensuring initiatives are in line with strategic priorities, with a focus toward continuous improvement and engagement of all employees.
This position is on-site at DCPP.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity. Although we estimate the successful candidate hired into this role will be placed towards the middle or entry point of the range, the decision will be made on a case-by-case basis related to these factors.
A reasonable salary range is:
California Minimum: $209,000
California Maximum: $355,000
This position reports to the Site Vice President, Diablo Canyon Power Plant.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of Critical/Major projects associated with the Diablo Canyon Power Plant continued operations and License Renewal that have a significant impact on PG&E operations.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of the DCPP Nuclear Power Plant’s Engineering Services’ organization to support industry-leading performance
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of the Stations Outages department in planning, preparation, and execution.
- In partnership with reporting Directors, the Station Director, and the Site Vice President identify and oversee resolution of complex performance issues in line with site key initiatives.
- Set goals, budgets, and objectives for reporting departments.
- Develop, mentor, and coach Directors. Provide strategic leadership and management to reporting Directors, including management of complex expense and capital and Department of Water Resource budgets, and overseeing the performance and development of professional and hourly staff personnel.
- Ensure all work is conducted safely, efficiently and in line with all site operating procedures. With a focus on safety, ensures departments proactively address safety resulting in zero recordable and disabling injuries
PG&E expects its leaders to conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity and to embody specific leadership qualities.
- Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Strategic – sees the big picture, but can focus in on short term needs.
A Leader in the Community and Industry
- Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to build effective and collaborative partnerships with other PG&E departments
- Skilled at listening, engaging in dialogue, and distributing information to the intended stakeholders.
Demonstrates Safety Leadership
- A safety champion in words and deeds with respect to both employee and public safety.
- Maintaining an environment of open dialog and free of retaliation.
Influences and Inspires
- Using various communications that convey a clear understanding of the needs of different audiences.
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) skills and interpersonal skills.
- Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related dynamics.
- Create and sustain a culture of open and transparent communication at all levels in the company.
- Ability to harness multiple stakeholders, agendas, and biases into action plans.
Optimizes Team Performance
- Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Creating a climate where people are developed and motivated to do their best to help the organization.
- Results Orientation – highly accountable for personal, team and organization results; drives results; high execution orientation with a history of resource alignment in a matrixed environment.
Values Diversity and Creates Inclusion
- Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Leads Ethically and in a Compliant Manner
- Sponsoring and sustaining a high integrity speak-up corporate culture which prioritizes ethics, safety and compliance.
- Building on necessary level of industry, company and subject-matter expertise, including laws and regulations.
Provides a High Level of Customer Service
- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Bachelor of Science degree
- 12 years relevant experience
- CA Residency requirement
- Travel required.
- MS or MBA
- Senior Reactor Operators License or Certification
- 14 years related experience
- Strategic Planning: Ability to plan and manage complex projects, Contract negotiation, Public and Regulatory Interface as a representative of PG&E. Management of a unionized workforce and the rules and requirements established by both parties. Able to work with PG&E legal to plan both permitting and legal strategies to limit the time and financial impacts on projects.
- Understand how to motivate, develop, and direct people as they work, and how to identify the best people for the job.
- Analyze budget components to ensure funding level is appropriate based on key goals, objectives, implementation methodology, and performance metrics
- Knowledge of human performance best practices.
- Demonstrate skills in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Demonstrate skills in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
- Ability to manage a diverse workforce in volatile environment.
- Adjust easily to changing business needs, conditions, demands and work responsibilities; adapt approach, goals and methods to achieve successful solutions and results.
- Knowledge of nuclear security rules and regulations
- Industry experience with INPO, EPRI, WANO, and critical vendors (Westinghouse, Siemens, BHI)
- Residence within 60 minutes distance from Nuclear Power Plant is desired.