Utility Worker - Gas T&D (IBEW) Bakersfield
Requisition ID # 82405
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Gas Operations
GasOperationsis focusedon ensuringthe safe and reliable flowof naturalgasto our customers. As a whole, GasOperationsis responsible forallaspectsof PG&E's gasdistributionandtransmissionoperations,includingplanning,engineering, maintenance and construction, restoration and emergency response.
Thisis an IBEWLocal1245 represented classification, which hasover60 years of experience representing employeesat PG&E and is subject to collective bargaining.
We arelooking foran energetic and career orientedindividualto join ourGasTransmissionandDistributionteam.TheUtility Workerpositionis an entrylevel positionin GasOperationswithadvancementopportunitiesfor motivated individualswho perform successfully. Workispredominantlyoutdoorsand in allweather conditions. Theindividual must be ableto work anddrive safely, workextendedhours,and wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment.
This position is a DOT (Department of Transportation) covered classification and is subject to random drug and/or alcohol screening.
- Must work safely at alltimesas definedby PG&E’s safety standards and procedures.
- Followthedirectionof theirjourneyman, crew lead and/or supervisor at alltimes.
- Must be ableto read and comply with all required company standards and procedures.
- Must workin a teamenvironment.
- Must be ableto obtain a Class A Driver’s Licensewithin12 months.
- Must be ableto pass Post Offer Physical Assessment.
- Contribute towardGas Safety Excellence goalsby improving safety, reliability and affordabilityforone or more assetfamiliesand one or more life cycles.
In additionto theGeneralDuties listed above, candidates selected to workin GasT&Dwill be required to performthefollowing:
- Assist in construction and maintenance and other miscellaneous semi-skilled work.
- Withadequatetrainingand underdirectionof a Crew Leader, may be required to:use handtools,portablepowertools,pavementbreakers, spaders, tampersor compactors forworknot requiring precision;performpipewrapping duties.
- Whenworkingalone, may be required to be OperatorQualifiedto perform routine productionLocateand Mark duties, routine productionLeak Survey duties, performpipeto soil readings, and Atmospheric Corrosion Surveys, and complete all required documentationsassociatedwith referenced tasks.
- May perform rechecks in conjunction with productionleak survey duties.
- May be required to performtraffic control functionsunder thedirectionof a GasCrew Leader.
- May be required to maintain a commercial driver'slicensewith a tankendorsement.
- This classification, when qualified,is expectedto takethenecessaryaction consistent with dutiestheyare capable of performingto assess a situation and make a field condition safe for Gas Pipeline Operationsand Maintenance Workgroup.
- Use of handtoolsor portable powertoolsfor cleaning purposesunderdirection,or otherworknot requiring precision.
- Operatelight dutytrucksandassociatedtrailers.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED.
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Must be able to lift and maneuver up to 90 pounds
- Must be able to pass to pass Post Offer Physical Assessment.
- Must pass Utility Worker Training course, which takes place for approx. 15 business days, during the first three weeks of employment.
- Ability to work extended hours to include nights, weekends and holidays when required.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver's License (or higher) by Day 1 of hire
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class A California Driver's License Permit by within 3 months of hire
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes.
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions.
- Ability to travel and transfer to a new headquarter upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees on how long you will be assigned away from your base headquarters.
- Previous experience in construction such as: Underground Utility locating.
- Previous Military experience.
- Previous Locate and Mark experience at PG&E
- Current or past work experience with PG&E and/or Hiring Hall.
- To better represent the communities we serve within a timely manner, applicants who live within 50 miles of the headquarter location will be given preference
PG&E Employees: You must have qualified on all prerequisite tests prior to submitting an application; and all secondary tests prior to interviewing. For more information on prerequisite and secondary exams, including study guides, please visit the Pre-employment testing program website.
- Physical Test Battery
- Work Orientation Inventory-Physical/Technical Driving
- Post-Offer Physical Assessment Utility Worker