Power Generation Project Management Analyst (ESC) - Burney, CAI'm Interested Date posted 01/13/2021
Requisition ID # 76222
Job Category : Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Generation
Job Location : Burney
Power Generation maintains and operates PG&E's hydroelectric, fossil and renewable generation facilities, providing more than 4,000 megawatts of generating capacity for our customers. We are an organization of nearly 700 men and women dedicated to deliver safe, reliable and cost-effective generation to California in an environmentally responsible manner. As an integral and active member of the company team, Power Generation contributes to PG&E's goal of becoming the leading utility in the United States.
This is a Journey level Project Management Analyst who works with the direction of more senior PM Analysts, Project Managers, Project Engineers, Business Planners and a supervisor. The position provides project oversight, control and analysis for capital and expense improvement projects and/or FERC relicensing and license compliance projects for hydro power and/or fossil fired and infrastructure facilities. Multiple projects are supported simultaneously. The position requires a thorough understanding of project cost and schedule controls and project management methodologies, strong computer skills, and enhanced verbal and written communication skills. Employee works independently with general direction and applies judgment to set priorities and complete tasks. Responsibilities may include Privileged and Confidential work.
Position responsibilities include assisting project leads (Project Managers and Project Engineers) with management and successful completion of projects, on time and within budget, and assisting supervisors and managers through analysis and reporting on projects and programs. Job duties may vary by assignment but demand more in depth skill and knowledge, involve more complex projects and analysis and greater autonomy as skill and experience develop. Duties for Journey level PM Analysts are completed under general direction from project leads and supervisors; complexity and autonomy of assignments increase as an employee gains more experience and expertise. In addition, job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist project leads as needed to obtain management approval of projects and budgets, including independently drafting and developing project authorization requests, cost estimates, economic analyses, project justification, and other supporting documents some direction from project lead and other team members.
- Efficiently and accurately perform monitoring and analysis functions for the various projects. Work in collaboration with project leads and project teams to develop and maintain project schedules and monitor cost status and forecasts. Analyze schedule start and duration variances. Perform targeted SAP queries to extract financial performance data.
-Maintains written and electronic project documentation and records for required aspects of the project in accordance with established guidelines and requirements.
-Maintains orders from inception through completion and closure.
- Analyze and trend cost and schedule variances against authorized and budgeted cost plans. Alert team when corrective actions are needed, including anticipating future problems based on trends. Analyze actual charges to validate their correctness and appropriateness and take corrective measures when appropriate. Provide project leads and project team members with status information and milestones that will ensure timely decisions that will take advantage of changing circumstances and resource availability.
- Independently prepare and maintain project status reports, programmatic spreadsheets, project database updates and various management communication reports (in coordination with project lead). Recommends and implements improvements to these systems.
- Assist project leads with procurement and contracting activities including but not limited to drafting of contract documents under direction of project lead; work directly with contractors to resolve errors and questions concerning invoices.
- Recommend improvements to assist in maintaining and updating Project Management Guidelines, including recommending process improvements. Assist in updating Project Management website.
-Proactively support attaining Departmental objectives.
- Assist project leads with coordination and documentation of project kickoff meetings, walk downs, lessons learned meetings, and design review meetings. Occasionally stand in for project lead when he or she is not available.
- Mentor newer employees and assist in training and developmental functions.
- Will support management on analyst related job duties as needed.
Supports multiple projects by providing cost and schedule reporting, analysis and other project documentation. Assignments typically require proficiency with company systems and analysis techniques and require some direction from project leads and supervisor. Work progress is reviewed occasionally for technical accuracy and adequacy in process and upon completion. Represents project lead when he or she is not available. May provide guidance and/or review of work of less experienced team members. May partner with internal or external stakeholders to solve problems or explore alternative solutions.
External contacts primarily include project-related work and support contract administration with contractors and vendors. May include some interaction with agencies or non-governmental organizations. Internal contacts are primarily with Power Gen personnel, including O&M clients, business planners, project team members, and PG&E internal services organizations and typically include supporting project-related work, documenting and reporting progress, exchanging and coordinating information, documenting meetings and providing appropriate documentation.
-A 4-year BS/BA Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, a scientific discipline, economics, finance or business administration from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US is required.
A minimum of 5 years of applicable work experience (such as in accounting, construction management, project scheduling or controls) with responsibilities similar to those required for this classification is acceptable in lieu of formal education.
Meets specific technical requirements gained through education or experience a as specified above.
-Project Management Certification
- Hydro-electric experience
Demonstrates knowledge and as described below:
- Strong computer skills, including competency with SAP, MS-Word and Excel; competent with databases and P6 project scheduling software.
- Able to complete assignments independently and meet commitments based on general direction including when tasks are complex and require experience-based judgment to accomplish.
- Able to support several projects concurrently, prioritizing tasks appropriately depending on the needs of respective projects.
- Applies sound knowledge of project management concepts, principals, practices, and requirements for power generation assets to help with development and documentation of project scopes and implementation plans.
- Can create and provide detailed analysis of cost and schedule reports and is able to identify key information.
- Demonstrates experienced judgment when making decisions and recommendations; uses technical & business judgment to determine cost effective and practical solutions.
- Able to function as a Journey level Project Management analyst on multiple large and moderately complex projects, and is able to develop CPM schedules, detailed cost plans, project resource plans, and project authorization and justification documentation for these projects.
- Able to communicate a variety of topics effectively; and utilize a variety of styles in order to connect with the intended audience; able to present moderately complex project information in informal and formal group settings; promotes greater understanding by providing background information and analysis rational.
- Demonstrates strong proficiency in written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to facilitate routine project meetings & walk downs.
- Understands PG&E’s basic financial and business policies and practices and is able to apply them appropriately to the cost estimating, economic analysis, justification, and approval of small to moderately complex projects. Proficiency with company systems including but not limited to SAP, EDRS, and Ariba.
- Track record of identifying process improvements and taking ownership of problems and their solutions.
- Able to mentor less senior employees and demonstrate ability to assist in training and development of technical skill-sets with others.
-Applies sound judgment, forward thinking, takes initiative, and acts as a team player when performing job function.