Senior Design Engineer
Requisition ID # 146209
Job Category: Engineering / Science
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Engineering
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Clovis
Substation Engineering is an integral part of Substation Engineering Services Department at Pacific Gas & Electric Company. Substation Engineering supports the Company's $1 billion capital investment in substation and transmission line projects. It is responsible for the preparation of detailed construction drawings for substations. We provide engineering expertise to upgrade, expand and replace the Company's infrastructure in the following:
- Distribution Substations
- Transmission Substations
- Substation design of foundations, structures, grading, and equipment seismic qualification
- Spill prevention control and counter measure
- Technical assistance on feasibility studies
- Construction support
- Provide valuable input in evaluating and cross-checking projects.
This position is represented by Engineers & Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
As a Senior Design Engineer, you will be the vital link between the company and widespread interconnection of generation, increase in capacity demand (residential, commercial and industrial) and system reliability improvements in California. Your role will be to ensure that the company provides excellent service for these projects.
We are looking for motivated, self-driven individuals who enjoy hands-on engineering, have excellent communications skills, high energy, and enjoy working in a team environment.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
PG&E is providing the hourly rate range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual hourly rate paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, collective bargaining agreement, and internal equity.
Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, the starting hourly rate range for this position is $59.78 to $75.72, subject to collectively bargained wage increases.
- Actively promote safe practices and conduct in accordance with the Corporate Safety policy.
- Accomplish the department goal of zero injuries & avoidable auto incidents.
- Foster teamwork, innovation and embrace new approaches to accomplish our work more efficiently and effectively.
- Direct the work of other employees performing design work for jobs and projects
- Mentor junior employees
- Ensure delivery of high-quality design products on budget and on time.
- Prepare Transmission and Distribution Substation designs using Bentley Substation software for indoor equipment (SCADA, relays, meters, batteries, annunciators, metal clad switchgear, etc.) and outdoor equipment (open air bus structures, support structures, circuit breakers, transformers, disconnect switches, etc.).
- Creating/updating drawings like single line diagrams, AC & DC schematics, indoor & outdoor arrangements, control room layouts, station service, circuit & conduit schedules.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent in education and experience to include education and design drafting experience totaling six years, or education and experience totaling four years including two years at PG&E as a Design Drafter or Senior Design Drafter
- Experience in design work or the equivalent in experience and ability
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver's License (or higher) by Day 1 of hire
- 2 years of substation design engineering
- Experience with Bentley Substation Software
- PE/EIT certification
- Familiarity with Bentley ProjectWise software
- Strong communication, organizational and leadership skills
- Familiarity with PG&E standards and processes
- Fluent with Microsoft office, outlook, word, excel, PowerPoint and access programs