Associate Electric Distribution Operations Engineer
Requisition ID # 145512
Job Category: Engineering / Science
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Concord
The Electric Operations team ensures the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration, and emergency response.
This job is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
The Associate Distribution Operations Engineering position at PG&E is a very challenging yet rewarding position that offers the successful candidate the opportunity to learn, grow, and develop. PG&E has over 3200 distribution feeders, 1200 distribution substation banks, and 275 distribution substations serving over 5 million customers in northern and central California. The distribution system is very diverse, with 4 KV, 12 KV, 17KV, 21 KV, and 34 KV distribution voltages. The PG&E service territory stretches over 74,000 square miles.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, collective bargaining agreements, and internal equity.
The annual salary range is:
CA Minimum, $88,416
CA Maximum, $139,440
Provide distribution operations engineering support for PG&E’s Electric Distribution Control Centers. This support includes:
- Provide distribution facility clearance review/analysis/ and switching plan development
- Perform N-1 distribution load at risk analysis and prepare management communications
- Monitor/Review bank & circuit Peak Loads and take actions to address overloads
- Monitor/Review bank & circuit real-time power factor and take actions to address poor power factor
- Validate inoperable critical operating equipment and determine its disposition
- Develop critical operating equipment control device settings
- Provide day-to-day engineering support for distribution line, substation-related operational problems, as well as any transmission line problems that result in operational problems on the distribution system
- Update load flow models when permanent switching, system re-configuration, and new devices are Installed
- Provide engineering support for system emergencies during normal and after-hours (includes an on-call requirement)
- Prepare substation bank and feeder loss studies as required
- Provide distribution operations engineering review and recommendations for substation bank/equipment replacement projects
- Provide distribution operations engineering support of power quality and voltage-related issues
- Assist in providing reviews to support the management of distribution system integrity and configuration
- Perform detailed technical analysis and design for the interconnection of temporary primary generation for planned and emergency needs
- Provide other reliability, protection/coordination related studies as requested
- Provide operations engineering support and participate in various emerging grid technology projects (VVO, PV-Smart Inverter, DERM’s, Smart Line Sensors, EPIC Projects)
- Flexible work schedule to be determined
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from a college or university accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology
- Electric utility distribution engineering or protection-related work experience
- Professional Engineering (PE) Registration
- Experience in electric distribution engineering and design