Expert Programmer Analyst
Requisition ID # 133322
Job Category: Information Technology
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Information Technology
Job Location: Concord
IT supports the Gas and Electric Control Centers by improving service quality, increasing capabilities through the development of additional functionality, implementing new technology, reducing costs, increasing productivity, and facilitating organizational and business eﬀectiveness through enabling technologies.
The Programmer/Analyst designs, develops, modiﬁes, conﬁgures, debugs and evaluates application programs for functional business areas. Programs include reports, interfaces, conversions, enhancements, forms, and workﬂows (RICEFWs). Analyzes existing applications and systems and formulates logic for new systems, devises logic procedures, logical database design, performs coding and tests/debugs programs. Assist in the deﬁnition, development, and documentation of deliverables, and speciﬁcations on a project-by-project basis as deﬁned in the IT Methodology, in collaboration with business analyst and other project team members. Consult with business analyst and architects to understand, anticipate, and meet current and future business needs. Modify and conﬁgure applications/systems as speciﬁed in the requirements and/or technical design document. Prepares and obtains approval of system and development documentation. Recommends changes in development, maintenance and system standards and processes. Anticipate client concerns and questions and provide timely, professional, straight forward (non-technical) communications. Provide on call support for production systems and provide timely solutions. Day-to-day tasks to insure systems are up and running. Respond to ad-hoc questions and intra- departmental communications. Supports bug ﬁxes, patches, minor enhancements, and service request.
This position is expected to work on emerging grid technology projects from their initial concept stage to solutioning, design, build, test, deploy stages.
- Provide subject matter expertise on overall IT solution, architecture for emerging grid technology projects
- Drive the design, build, test, deploy phases while working with other integration systems and infrastructure, security teams at PG&E
- Provide primary technology support for all in-house environments with supported application platforms.
- Provide IT hand holding support, technical expertise to infrastructure Build & application Test teams as different activities are moved among environments.
- Coordinate installation refresh of database incremental drops from application vendor.
- Provide database support (SQL and application in-memory database) on all environments as different code sets and incremental updates are made available
- Manage and deploy vendor application updates (patches, hotfixes) and coordinate with internal teams for OS updates on all environments taking into consideration different ongoing activities
- Manage access to all environment – onboarding users, changing authority and access control for different testing scenarios
- Provide infrastructure build & configuration support to build team as environments are deployed and fully integrated for regression tests
- Provide system support to cybersecurity build & testing team
- Provide system support to system monitoring team to rationalize the number of events being monitored and assign priority for future support model development
- Manage data refresh from production environment to non-production environments
- Manage planned maintenance and planned outages across the three data centers
- Receive and track reports of application incidents, and support users throughout the triage and resolution process
- Receive and implement system and application configuration requests
- As required, test and evaluate product upgrades, add-ons, etc. to validate product integrity, usability, and detect potential user issues, identify potential solutions and make recommendations for improvement.
- Application performance analysis, proactive troubleshooting and capacity planning.
- Update process documentation - ensure documentation of entire environment is current. Support the deployment of solutions and have a good understanding of solution methodology. Management of global systems users.
- Understand business requirements and apply them to complex programming and analysis.
- Follow and collaborate on existing Application Development Frameworks and Coding Standards.
- Solid understanding of IT Delivery Methodology, compliance processes and impact to client projects.
- Development of Web/Windows applications and reports using C, ASP.net, ADO.net, SQL Server 2016/2019, MS SQL Server Reporting Services, and .Net Framework 3.5/4.0 with strong knowledge of Object-Oriented concepts.
- Problem Solving: Lead complex system modiﬁcations. Assignments are based on extensive knowledge of concepts, principles or practices in a speciﬁc discipline, ﬁeld or area of expertise, and require seasoned, experienced-based judgment in applying and adapting techniques.
- Internal/External Contact: May attend client meetings on behalf of team or manager. Collaborates with Project Manager on complex project timelines, identifying critical path, resource assignments, risks, and dependencies representative.
- Freedom of Action: Oversee, mentor, and provide guidance to less experienced programmer-analysts.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or equivalent experience and/or ﬁeld of study.
- 7 years of programming analysis experience.
- Proven knowledge with programming principals to enhance system performance
- Multiple programming languages experience
- At least 1-2 years Electric utility background (distribution or transmission systems preferred)
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to work in a collaborative environment and interact with all levels of management within the Business, IT groups besides the application Vendor
- Strong technical acumen with the ability to understand different Distribution Management System functions and platforms
- Awareness and good familiarity with tools / applications regularly used by electric distribution or transmission system Operators, Operating Engineers, and Planning Engineers such as: SCADA, Outage Management System (OMS), Distribution Management System (DMS), Power Flow modeling tools (e.g., CYME), Geographic Information System (GIS), operational data historian (e.g., OSISoft Pi)
- Demonstrated skills and experience in maintaining SCADA, OMS/ DMS or EMS software including relevant experience working on upgrade or replacement projects in the past
- Ability to be creative, versatile, efficient and productive in the face of ambiguity
- Strong drive for results and continuous improvement including development of standards and process in line with utility best practices
- Strong problem determination and analytical skill to enhance large and interrelated systems.
- Hands-on experiences in developing Web/Windows applications and reports using C, ASP.net, ADO.net, SQL Server 2016/2019, MS SQL Server Reporting Services, and .Net Framework 3.5/4.0 with strong knowledge of Object-Oriented concepts.
- Proﬁcient with development including web, database and building REST and RESTful APIS using ANGULAR, typescript, Node, and Python, Kendo, and NoSQL.
- Working knowledge of Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Workﬂow Foundation (WF), and Microsoft Web Server like IIS 6.0/7.0.
- Expertise in Database Systems, SQL, Oracle.
- Experience working in Agile / Scrum environment.