Expert, Work Plan Portfolio Specialist (Flexible Location)
Requisition ID # 88941
Job Category : Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E’s electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response. Within Electric Operations, Major Projects and Programs is responsible for designing, project managing, and constructing large distribution and transmission capital electrical projects and programs; including reliability, capacity, and system hardening.
This position will report to the Sr. Manager of the Planning, Reporting, and Governance team within the Major Projects and Programs department. The Work Plan Portfolio Specialist plans and/or monitors an assigned department’s annual and/or multi-year work plan portfolio of jobs. Incumbents collaborate with stakeholders to plan and/or track the execution of work related to the overall portfolio by driving the creation of high-quality work plans and/or analyzing the work performance and execution efficiency of work in the portfolio. The Specialist establishes methods to gather data from leadership, finance, project management, operations and other stakeholders for the portfolio/work plan. Specialists may utilize customized software and/or ERP systems to manage portfolio/work plan data and may
be involved in driving the adoption of new planning systems and related processes cross departmentally. The incumbents strive to keep the portfolio/ work plan balanced with costs and resource availability.
Reporting: This position will have extensive reporting responsibilities, and candidates should be technically sound and experienced with SQL Server, PowerBI, Tableau, Excel, and other common data visualization and data manipulation tools.
You must be able to travel at least 30% of the time. This will be a flexible working location, within the greater Bay Area.
- Applies subject matter expertise to wide-ranging planning processes and challenges. May be assigned to work on annual, long range plans or a combination. Works independently on projects and issues of large scope and high complexity, requiring evaluation of abstract variables.
- Leads peers and stakeholders to develop prioritized and optimized long range and/or annual portfolio/work plans for multiple work categories. Gains buy-in and confirms plans can be executed with stakeholder organization.
- Closely manages work progression. Ensures work packages are advancing through the planning, estimating and scheduling process in order to meet operating plan milestones and requirements. Analyzes issues and develops solutions to resolve.
- Monitors, prepares regular reports and presents status to senior management. Organizes and leads cross functional stakeholder meetings to review analysis of resource plans, gaps in plan and financials/budgets. Discusses and recommends solutions.
- Presents solutions to management and influences resource planning decision making which may include, utilizing contract labor, shifting resources or changing timing of work.
- Develops recommendations regarding new or better reports or tools based on assessment of stakeholder needs, resource planning trends and to provide better clarity and quality data for effective leadership decision making.
- Participates in and may lead cross-department continuous process improvement efforts to improve efficiencies and quality.
- May lead special initiative project teams as work planning subject matter expert. May assist with some IT related enhancement discussions. Collaborates with team members on most effective field rollout of process, tool and/or reporting changes.
- A Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Business, Finance or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
- 7 years of total related experience such as integrated or strategic portfolio/work planning.
- Advanced data analysis skills, knowledgeable in collecting data, organizing, synthesizing,
- reporting, recognizing trending and anomalies, drawing conclusions and developing
- Advanced knowledge in project/work scheduling concepts, methods and practices.
- Knowledge of electric utility construction processes and practices.
- Thorough understanding of business and or industry drivers to help influence decision making.
- Strong knowledge of capital budgeting processes and methods
- Project management skills.
- Team leadership and effective collaboration skills.
- Influence and negotiation to gain agreement from various stakeholders.
- Advanced technical skills using systems and applications such as SAP Work Management, SAP Business Warehouse (BW), Primavera, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint to develop reports, analyses, and deliver presentations