IT Systems Operations Analyst-ESC
Requisition ID # 69629
Job Category : Information Technology
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Information Technology
The SmartMeter Operations Center (SM OC) is a part of Information Technology and is responsible for performing Operations & Maintenance of the SmartMeter™ systems. This includes regular scheduling, monitoring and maintenance work, incident resolution, and ensuring continuous improvement of processes and applications. The SM OC group works closely with Customer Care groups on selected business processes. And with various IT & third party groups to coordinate bug fixes, manage incidents, support project delivery, and complete maintenance activities.
The role of the career IT Systems Operations Analyst is to provide technical support of an IT product line, operation processes, enterprise platform and/or technology service offering managed by IT. This position requires the knowledge and experience to function as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) across one or more discipline area such as Gas, Electric, Smart Meter Data Management Systems, RF, Wireless or Data Networks. Operational support duties include monitoring, scheduling, analysis, diagnosis and resolution of problems involving SmartMeter Devices, Backhaul, Head-end and Meter Data Management Systems (MDMS) including data, application, hardware and network components. In addition to these roles, the position provides support to Projects that may impact Smart Meter Operations
- Safely maintain and operate systems, tools and equipment within the center that provide services associated with PG&E’s SmartMeter Operations Center.
- Communicate all issues, incidents, exceptions, problems, changes, outages, maintenance, root cause findings, etc., in accordance with established policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Provides operations support in monitoring, scheduling, analyzing, diagnosing and resolving problems. Works closely with other IT groups and business groups such as Customer Care to ensure systems and data are maintained in an efficient manner. Applies knowledge of the operation, management, and maintenance of Smart Meter data, application, network and telecommunication systems, linked systems and peripherals in order to enhance SmartMeter operations. Act in a lead capacity for notification/escalation management for critical outages and exceptions.
- Provides on-site or remote support for project implementation. Work closely with peers, supervisor, team members, -suppliers, contractors PG&E leadership and others as needed to identify, plan, prioritize and implement project deliverables.
- Participate in design reviews, user acceptance testing, equipment trials and tests as requested for new deployments, products and service offerings. Partner with Product Managers and technical architects to make recommendations for new or retired products as needed.
- Partner with and maintain a professional Customer/ Supplier relationship at all times when interfacing with suppliers and contractors.
- Assist other analysts and technicians as appropriate in developing their own technical skills through training, presentations and involvement in the process of maintaining and supporting these systems (installations, upgrades, troubleshooting, problem resolution, etc.) Create and maintain training class curriculum, conduct internal classes and coordinate supplier training.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Business, Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Typically requires 2-4 years of one or more of the following: IT product, Operational processes, Utility domain experience (e.g. Gas, Electric).
- Knowledge of data analysis using GIS applications
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Excel
- Working knowledge of SQL (MS Access, SQL Server)
- Basic programming/scripting knowledge (example – C programming, VBA)
- Basic IT Networking, RF Communication knowledge
- Ability to develop technical documentation of medium complexity
- Software and Hardware test plan development and execution experience
Knowledge / Abilities:
- Performs assigned tasks of low to average complexity using established procedures.
- May coach Associate Analysts.
- Intermediate knowledge of MODBUS, 2179, DNP and PGE 61850, TCP/IP.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of one or more of the following designated area: IT product line, operational process, Utility domain (e.g. Gas end points or gas network, Electric end points or electric network).
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Able to work and communicate across multiple departments.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and technical troubleshooting skills.