Equipment Mechanic (IBEW) - Bay Area Locations
Requisition ID # 66600
Job Category : Transportation
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Shared Services
The Fleet Maintenance Department is a part of PG&E’s Transportation Services Department. We operate out of 6 areas in the PG&E service territory. The Fleet Maintenance Department provides vehicle maintenance and service to PG&E owned and leased vehicles and equipment.
This is an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
An Equipment Mechanic is a journey-level position. Equipment Mechanics are professional mechanics with a solid knowledge and background in a wide variety of mechanical skills. Skills include, but are not limited to, equipment service and repair of mobile hydraulics, aerial hydraulics, OSHA boom inspections, CHP BIT Inspections, air brakes, electrical and electronic systems, diesel and gasoline powered vehicles and equipment. Equipment Mechanics are responsible for the maintenance, inspection and repair of company owned utility-related equipment.
This position is a DOT (Department of Transportation) covered classification and is subject to random drug and/or alcohol screening.
Available positions may be located in any of the following cities and may be subject to change due to business need: San Francisco, San Carlos, Colma, Oakland, Hayward, Livermore, Antioch, San Jose, Concord, Santa Rosa, Vallejo, and Cupertino
Diagnostics: Conducts visual, auditory and operational inspection of vehicles and equipment to identify and troubleshoot problems for repair; identifies problem causes; researches problems via repair manuals, schematics, OEM's, service bulletins and other mechanics as needed
Repairs/Rebuilds Vehicles & Components: Uses hand tools and power tools to disassemble, access and re- assemble equipment or components; removes and replaces broken or worn parts (such as cylinders, brakes and gaskets); performs tune-ups and electrical repairs
Maintenance: Perform preventative maintenance and inspections as required on all types of mobile equipment
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class A California Driver's License Permit by Day 1 of hire
- Must possess and maintain a valid DMV Medical Card by Day 1 of hire
- 4 or more years experience as a certified Journey-level Mechanic working with light, medium and/or heavy-duty equipment service and repair
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
- Ability to work flexible schedules, extended hours, nights, weekends, and/or overtime (scheduled or ad hoc)
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 75 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- Must be capable of climbing on, under and around equipment.
- Must be capable of bending and twisting using proper safety techniques.
- Must be physically able to kneel, squat or crawl as needed.
- Must have own tools and tool box
- Minimum one year experience with air brakes Minimum one year experience with hydraulics
- Minimum one year experience with heavy duty diesel equipment and/or vehicles
- Minimum one year experience with regulated inspections such as Cal OSHA Boom Inspections and CHP BIT Inspections
- Minimum one year experience with vehicle electrical systems and electronic computer-controlled systems Demonstrated experience with welding and fabricating
- Demonstrated experience with reading and interpreting schematics and blueprints
PG&E Employees: You must have qualified on all prerequisite tests prior to submitting an application; and all secondary tests prior to interviewing. For more information on prerequisite and secondary exams, including study guides, please visit the Pre-employment testing program website.
- Physical Test Battery
- Work Orientation Inventory-Physical/Technical Driving