Apprentice Communication Technician - GC T300 (IBEW) - Various Locations
Requisition ID # 138623
Job Category: Maintenance / Construction / Operations
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Information Technology
Job Location: Davis; Bakersfield; Fairfield
IT T300 Maintenance and Operations maintains and operates PG&E's telecommunications, infrastructure, service centers and substation facilities. We are a unified organization comprised of various departments which collaborate effectively in order to deliver high quality technology solutions and support to our internal customers.
This is an International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 1245 represented classification, which has over 100 years of experience representing employees at PG&E. This job is subject to collective bargaining.
Apprentice Telecommunications Technicians, work as an assistant to or under the general direction of a Telecommunications Technician. They will assist to install, test and maintain telecommunications systems, including but not limited to intercommunication systems, telephone voice over IP systems, PBX, voice and data-switching systems, major operations computers, supervisory, power and telephone line carriers, microwave, SCADA Control systems , fiber optics, multiplex, radio – both voice and data, remote signal and remote control equipment, load frequency control, telemetering equipment, power systems including UPS, DC chargers and large battery banks.
Apprentice Telecommunications Technicians will trouble shoot from basic electronic schematics, both with and without assistance; install protective grounding on power systems and maintain communication circuit prints. They are responsible for investigating, correcting, and/or making recommendations to correct user station equipment, personal computers and related equipment problems; as well as radio and television interference complaints. The position is a General Construction position and individuals must be able to travel and transfer to a new headquarters upon request at any time; throughout the entire PG&E service territory with no guarantees as to how long you will be away from home.
To better represent the communities, we serve within a timely manner, applicants who live within 50 miles of the headquarter location will be given preference.
- Work safely and promote safety for yourself and others.
- Keep PG&E's communication systems operational to support both business and communication networks needed to provide electricity to our customers.
- Work with our Telecommunication Control Center to ensure that outages are minimized and clients are informed through a clearance process.
- Provide maintenance and repair of these systems in a timely and professional manner.
- Report problems to local management and escalate issues as need be.
- Learn to install, calibrate, troubleshoot & replace various telemetry equipment to maintain the integrity of our canals and power houses
- Learn to Install and maintain pressure, level & flow instrumentation
- Learn to install and maintain remote solar system
Starting Pay Rate: $54.86 per hour
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Record of Residence within 50 miles of job description location
- Must possess a High School diploma, GED or equivalent work experience
- Must possess a valid California Driver's License
- Ability to work in all types of weather extremes
- Ability to drive safely in all weather and road conditions
- Ability to work extended hours, nights, weekends and holidays
- Must be able to lift 100 pounds a minimum of one time a day
- Must be able to wear company provided Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Must be able to work with and/or around helicopters, bucket trucks and substations.
- Must be able to climb towers and be comfortable with heights
- Able and willing to perform physical activities as mentioned in the job posting (with accommodation, if required)
- Able and willing to work in, with and around water
- Work around poison oak, snakes, spiders, and insects.
- Must weigh less than 275 pounds
- Possess a valid Radio Telephone Operator License - FCC or Company-approved certificate
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Associate degree or technical certification in IT, Computer Science or Electronics
- Leadership experience
- Possess communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated work experience/knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to foster teamwork, collaborative environment
- Possess Federal Communications General Radio Telephone License
- Military experience
- SCADA & Substation Experience
- Technical training background
PG&E Employees: You must have qualified on all prerequisite tests prior to submitting an application; and all secondary tests prior to interviewing. For more information on prerequisite and secondary exams, including study guides, please visit the Pre-employment testing program website.
- Apprentice Communication Technician Test
- Industrial Skills Test
- Physical Test Battery
- Work Orientation Inventory-Physical/Technical Driving