Category Leader, Principal - Material Strategy (Flexible Location)
Requisition ID # 144711
Job Category: Procurement / Supply Chain
Job Level: Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Operations - Other
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
PG&E’s Underground Program organization is working to reduce wildfire risk each day as we underground 10,000 miles of distribution lines. We are responsible for working across all internal teams and engaging external stakeholders to support successfully meeting our goals and reducing wildfire risk in our hometowns. We work in an exciting and fast-paced environment.
The Undergrounding Contracting and Commercial team will lead the development and execution of commercial, contracting, and sourcing strategies for services, materials, and any other resources needed to support PG&E’s Undergrounding program portfolio. The team will engage with internal stakeholders to understand and confirm needs and implement sourcing strategies in partnership with PG&E’s Supply Chain organization to meet those needs. Similarly, this team will lead PG&E’s engagement and partnership with third party providers of construction resources, materials or other services needed to support the Undergrounding program.
This position will lead improvements for the procurement of materials and related processes to help optimize the safety, risk reduction, quality, cost efficiency, and/or employee morale of the Undergrounding program. This individual will take an end-to-end approach to our undergrounding procurement strategies and processes and will embrace big ideas but also the small details and rigorous process steps that bring those improvement ideas from concept to reality. The position will also need to partner with multiple teams, departments, third parties and others to explore and engage with improvement or innovation ideas and then define the sourcing related roles and responsibilities and processes needed to implement and support those ideas. This individual will need to show significant flexibility, intellectual curiosity and a mindset that embraces both breakthrough-thinking and process adherence. It will also evaluate the overall undergrounding portfolio to ensure that the required material resources are retained for the portfolio on a year over year basis.
With big goals – 10,000 miles of distribution lines to undergrounding – and ambitious improvements expected – driving the unit cost to around $2M per mile – this position will be critical to PG&E pulling together all of the resources necessary to be successful in delivering for our communities the long-term goals of the Undergrounding program.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity.
Bay Area Minimum: $128,000
Bay Area Maximum: $218,000
California Minimum: $122,000
California Maximum: $207,000
- Establishes and maintains effective partnerships aimed at identifying and understanding the material resourcing needs of the undergrounding program and to obtain feedback on the quality and costs of such services.
- Leads cross-functional team in developing and executing short and long-term material procurement strategies and plans in support of PG&E’s Undergrounding program within the resource and budget constraints. Strategies will support PG&E’s undergrounding goals and objectives including public and employee safety, wildfire risk reduction, quality, cost savings, customer service / satisfaction, employee engagement, supplier diversity, and green procurement.
- Maintains awareness of industry and market trends through ongoing research
- Sets market trends on material supply/demand by working with the industry on best practices.
- Works with senior management to support strategic planning and decision-making at the officer level
- Reviews and evaluates current business practices and sourcing strategies to identify areas of opportunity for improvement, including standardization, driving efficiency across the entire procurement process, focusing on spend reduction and service optimization.
- Identifies organizational, operational, market and business process drivers based on ongoing monitoring of trends, conditions and other key performance indicators.
- Serves as the initial point of contact for emergent client material related concerns, ensuring that are presented to proper Supply Chain stakeholders for timely action response, and follow-up as appropriate.
- Establishes and fosters effective cadence for engagement and results reviews with assigned line of business stakeholders to review material demand forecast assumptions, adjust strategy and tactics to achieve desired results and improve material related outcomes.
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Supply Chain Management or job-related discipline or equivalent experience
Experience in supply chain, or related, 8 years
Master’s Degree in Business Administration or job-related discipline or equivalent experience Utility industry experience
Experience in procurement, or related
Job-related experience, 10 years
LSS-Lean Six Sigma Certification
PMP-Project Management Professional certification
ISM-Institute for Supply Management CPSM-Certified Professional in Supply Management certification