Civil Engineer, T-Line
Requisition ID # 146509
Job Category: Engineering / Science
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Engineering
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
The Electric Engineering team ensures the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Engineering is responsible for PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration, and emergency response.
The Civil Engineering and Design team of Electric Engineering is responsible for civil engineering work for PG&E’s Transmission poles and towers. The Civil engineering work includes, but not limited to, structure and foundation design and analysis that support projects and maintenance work for PG&E Transmission assets.
This position is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
This is a journey-level engineer job that requires mastery of the Associate level engineer skills and duties and is responsible for leading the engineering and design of more complex projects. Uses independent judgment in applying engineering principles, working with minimal supervision. Works with engineers, project managers, construction personnel, and other business partners in assessing project needs. Responsibilities beyond those of associate Project engineer include, but are not limited to, the following: develop technical studies and reports, and provide guidance to contractors and outside vendors.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, collective bargaining agreements, and internal equity.
The salary range is:
CA Minimum, $110,964
CA Maximum, $168,756
- Assists with or conducts project walkdowns and works with project team, including both internal and external clients, to establish scope of work, schedule, and cost commitments. Gathers technical information from field data and project team.
- Prepares cost estimates.
- Investigates resources required to complete engineering and project-related tasks
- Establishes engineering schedule.
- Prepares project forecast for engineering, tracks progress, updates as needed, and provides periodic updates.
- Provides guidance to design and contractor team members, and reviews design and technical documents. Coordinating with other lines of business, ensures designs and technical documents meet appropriate criteria, quality, and job scope.
- Approves revisions to existing drawings for routine projects.
- Procures long-lead time material for assigned projects.
- Under direction, reviews and approves project material procurement list, vendor drawings, equipment specification updates, and engineering material requests.
- Participates in periodic design review meetings.
- Coordinates project activities with other disciplines for routine projects.
- Under direction, provides construction support and evaluates and makes recommendations to resolve field construction problems.
- May perform functions of Associate level Engineer and in addition:
- Provides technical expertise and performs engineering analyses, studies, and develops conceptual designs.
- Presents findings to internal organizations, contractors, and outside vendors.
- Conducts walkdowns and design review meetings.
- Prepares written technical documents such as design criteria, specifications, and reports.
- Develops, evaluates, and recommends alternative project proposals.
- Solicits, prepares, and evaluates contracts and proposals from engineering consultants. Reviews consultant contracts for technical compliance.
- Interprets and applies applicable codes and regulations.
- Participates in the development of effective restoration plans. Assists in root cause analysis.
- Approves reports, new drawings, and revisions to existing drawings for projects.
- In emergencies, promptly responds to facility failures.
- Represents PG&E to government bodies as required for assigned projects.
- Holds a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering degree or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US
- Current and active California PE license
- 3 years of experience in engineering and design
- Master’s degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Basic understanding of the roles and responsibilities of project managers
- Able to understand and implement the technical requirements of interfacing engineering disciplines
- Ability to manage and complete several projects concurrently, depending on scope and complexity.
- Interprets applicable codes, industry standards and regulations and educates others.
- Can provide thorough analysis of issues and justification of recommendations.