Energy Accounting Analyst, Senior
Requisition ID # 141300
Job Category: Accounting / Finance
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Finance
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
Corporate Accounting provides accurate and timely delivery of company’s consolidated financial statements, variance analyses, account reconciliations, and other analyses that support the filing of Forms 10Q and 10K. The high-profile department provides a great place for energized and talented employees to ignite their career, make a contribution, and be recognized. The work of our department is key to the Company and provides challenge and variety including application of appropriate accounting treatment and analyses under GAAP, FERC, Tax and SEC reporting.
We are seeking a highly motivated, capable Senior Accounting Analyst to work in our Energy Accounting team, a sub-team of Corporate Accounting. This individual should have strong analytical skills and be detail oriented and self-directed. He or she should have excellent oral and written communication skills.
Reviews and interprets policies, reporting requirements, rules, and regulations:
- Analyzes and implements regulatory decisions and records the resulting balancing account entries
- Identifies issues, proposes solutions, and documents conclusions with minimal supervision.
Monitors and develops monthly reports, and provides record of assets, liabilities and/or other transactions:
- Assists in the month-end closing process including journal entry preparation
- Prepares monthly account reconciliations for complex / high-risk accounts, including
communications with appropriate internal and external business partners to understand / resolve reconciling items
- Prepares monthly variance analysis
- Prepares supporting documentation for annual and quarterly financial, tax and regulatory filings, and/or income tax return
Interprets data, reports, and records for managers/stakeholders:
- Provides supporting documentation and explanations to internal and external auditors
- Demonstrates a complete understanding of assigned sections and responds to inquiries, with minimal supervision
- Manages communication with internal and external parties
Assists in setup of processes, procedures, and other improvement efficiencies:
- Identifies process improvements to reduce risk and create efficiencies at the desk level.
- Assists in the implementation of process improvement initiatives undertaken by the department.
- Performs quarterly Sarbanes-Oxley testing for compliance
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 4 years of accounting experience
- Knowledge of utility rate making and regulatory processes
- Six or more years relevant experience
- Proficient computer skills (Excel/Word/PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of financial analysis and internal controls
- Strong knowledge of GAAP, SEC and FERC requirements
- Excellent research and issue resolution skills
- Ability to assess and recommend solutions for moderate to complex projects
- CPA or equivalent required