Expert Grid Innovation Engineer
Requisition ID # 136626
Job Category: Engineering / Science
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Energy Policy & Procurement
Job Location: Oakland
Help us transform the electric utility industry from the inside! We are looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas to modernize California’s electric grid by rethinking how to plan the distribution grid for a high Distributed Energy Resources (DER) and high electrification future. The Integrated Grid Planning (IGP) team aims to develop and externally represent new methods for planning the distribution grid that further enable DERs (e.g., solar PV, battery storage, energy efficiency, demand response, and electric vehicles), as well as transportation and building electrification. The team works collaboratively with diverse stakeholders across the enterprise and externally to develop implementation plans for innovation. As part of the Integrated Grid Planning and Innovation team, help us chart the future of the utility and the energy industry.
The Expert Grid Innovation Engineer will play a central role in evolving PG&E’s distribution planning and interconnection processes to enable DERs, prepare for high levels of electrification, and take the needs of a variety of external stakeholders into account. The Grid Innovation Engineer will inform Company strategic positions, influence policy and propose process improvements for PG&E’s grid of the future that provides safe, reliable, and affordable clean energy to PG&E’s customers. The successful candidate will have the communication skills to coordinate and engage with internal and external counterparties and the innovative capabilities to drive the future development of distribution planning.
This position is based out of PG&E’s General Office complex in downtown Oakland, CA although a hybrid work from home arrangement will be considered.
The position reports to the Manager of Integrated Grid Planning.
- Engage with stakeholders by shaping policy and regulatory processes for distribution planning, operations, interconnection
- Prepare external filings and presentations on PG&E’s distribution planning, operations, and interconnection
- Determine and implement new processes for consideration of inputs from local communities into the distribution planning and service planning process
- Represent PG&E on the distribution planning process and the enablement of DERs in regulatory proceedings
- Coordinate with vendors on the provision of distribution planning tools to enable more advanced analysis
- Assist in prepping material and presenting for technical experts in regulatory proceedings and industry working groups
- Responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing new processes and guidelines that facilitate the use of DERs in providing value to the distribution grid
- Frequent engagement with the Energy Division at the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and other regulatory stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an ABET accredited college or equivalent experience
- 7 years of electric utility related experience
- Experience with distribution planning or operations modeling software (e.g., CYME, LoadSEER, SYNERGI)
- Public speaking and stakeholder engagement experience
- Experience with distribution planning, interconnection of load and generation, service planning, or distribution operations
- Experience preparing and presenting strategical and policy recommendations
- Experience with policy writing and engagement