Expert, Operations Data Analyst (Flexible Location)
Requisition ID # 137949
Job Category: Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Safety & Risk
Job Location: Oakland
The aim of the Risk and Data Analytics team is to enhance the risk practices of PG&E’s Electric Operation business and thereby address changing external conditions such as climate change. To this end the Risk and Data Analytics team creates and maintains tools to enable PG&E to close the gap between metrics and electric system performance. These tools provide a multi-layered view of risk across the electric system so that decision-making processes include and empower employees at all levels of the company to manage risk appropriately.
In creating these tools, the team employs a data supported, lean solution process to expand PG&E’s ability to assess and manage risk. The result are assessments and mitigations that are more dynamic, quantitative, and customer-focused, with a multi-layered approach for both short-term and long-term time horizons.
Sample activities include:
- Interpretation and representation of meteorological data in models that combine a range data sources such as the electric system asset data, vegetation and meteorology
- Development of computer vision models aimed at accelerating and automating asset inspections processes
- Predicting electric distribution equipment failure before it occurs allowing for proactive maintenance
- Supervised and unsupervised machine learning models using Python and Spark, executed on AWS
We are looking for an Expert Data Analyst to join our growing team. In this role you will have a unique opportunity to be at the forefront of utility industry analytics and their use in tools to asses risk. Working as part of cross functional team, including other data analysts, data scientists, technology experts, and subject matter experts this individual will help develop data driven solutions for decision making and operations. Specifically, in this role you will extract operations data for analysis, leadership, executive support and responses to data requests and analysis. Maintain operational reporting, tools & databases to ensure that it is kept up-to-date. Develop, maintain and enhance operational metric dashboards and database tools for the broader analytics teams. Identify and solve current gaps in data requirements and ease of access to ensure fast and consistent responses to leadership inquiries.
Position is flexible within the PG&E Service Territory.
- Works with all levels of leadership across functions to influence decisions
- Provides new and innovative solutions and recommendations to enhance database(s) with new data sources and improved data processes
- Manages very complex data extracts and list pulls ensuring data accuracy
- Manages extracting data and transferring the data from databases to various analysts to support operational analysis efforts
- Manages complex data analysis projects with limited supervision on only the most complex projects from initial request to presenting data results ensuring that the project is completed on-time and on-budget
- Develops comprehensive reports and communicates clear, concise and actionable data analyses for clients utilizing tools such as PowerBI, Tableau, Excel and/or similar
- Designs data analysis to achieve business objectives, process data, analyze data, write clear and concise data findings and tailor communications to specific audiences
- Creates automated data routines and processes for reporting and data delivery ensuring accurate data manipulation and data cleansing
- Demonstrates and uses broad expertise in data processing and data analysis and applies this knowledge to several different issues
- Analyzes data using various advanced statistical tools to develop complex ad hoc reports, statistics, trends and profiles
- Acts as team lead and provides direction to less experienced employees
- BA/BS Degree in Marketing, Business, Computer Science, Engineering or other related field or equivalent work experience
- 6 years of related work experience
- Degree in computer science, engineering, applied sciences, mathematics, statistics, econometrics or similar quantitatively focused subject areas or job-related experience
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in data science or advanced analytics OR Master’s Degree and job-related experience, 3 years.
- Knowledge of database and information systems – for example SCADA, EMS, OMT, OIS, SAP, Teradata
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products - for example Excel, Word, Power BI, PowerPoint, Access
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated collaboration or paired development work history
- Demonstrated proficiency with relational databases, preferably in SQL
- History mentoring and teaching others as well as desire to continue to do so
- Demonstrated experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau, D3, Plotly, etc.
- Enjoy working on complex multi-stage projects with a diverse team
- Involvement or strong interest in the energy/clean tech industry
- Familiarity with transmission and/or distribution electric system