Expert Strategic Analyst
Requisition ID # 145826
Job Category: Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Engineering, Planning & Strategy
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
PG&E’s Strategy team leads the development and facilitation of True North Strategy, co-creates and supports strategy and policy initiatives related to Energy System Strategies, leads Competitive Strategy workstreams, and incubates emerging business opportunities. With PG&E’s core values of serving our planet and delivering for our hometowns at heart, the team assesses cross-functional and line of business-specific industry trends and opportunities, provides internal consulting to support line of business strategy development and performance improvement, and leads high-profile utility initiatives.
Develops strategies to support programs and initiatives related to Energy Systems Strategies and climate policy. Works with regulators, utility industry peers and internal departments to influence the company and regulatory and industry efforts around current and future priorities, funding constraints and future business needs. Influences company and regulatory and industry priorities based on inputs from customer research, business impacts and PG&E strategies and priorities.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity. We would not anticipate that the individual hired into this role would land at or near the top half of the range described below, but the decision will be dependent on the facts and circumstances of each case.
A reasonable salary range is:
Bay Area Minimum: $118,000.00
Bay Area Mid-point: $153,000.00
Bay Area Maximum: $188,000.00
California Minimum: $112,000.00
California Mid-point: $145,000.00
California Maximum: $179,000.00
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Leads and provides significant contribution to one or more PG&E-wide work streams related to Climate Policy and Energy Systems Strategies, acting as a thought leader applying extensive unique decarbonization strategies subject matter expertise in the development of strategy or resolution of complex issues.
- Leads identification, development, implementation, and resolution of issues associated with complex, cross-functional strategy and policy matters at PG&E.
- Designs and develops regulatory and commercial strategies or policy positions.
- Provide supporting technical quantitative and qualitative analysis to support the design, test and evaluation of strategy and pilots/projects
- Aid in the development of proof-of-concepts, demonstrations and pilots that showcase and test a variety of potential innovative solutions
- Work with external vendors for implementation, testing, and troubleshooting
- Work with key stakeholders to support pilot/project objectives, execute strategy, and disseminate learnings
- Works with all levels of management and senior leadership across functions to influence decisions.
- Coordinate meetings and engage stakeholders – drive project execution across internal stakeholders, key partners, end-users, and vendors
- Negotiates and advocates on behalf of PG&E in regulatory forums and interactions with external stakeholders.
- Help develop communications materials to engage PG&E leadership, internal program management teams and external stakeholders in pilot objectives and learnings
- Gather metrics and work with project lead to keep pilots within specified scope, schedule, cost, and quality objectives.
- Aid in development and execution of external contracts, like non-disclosure agreements
- Manage lessons learned process and develop an iterative feedback loop to ensure strategy and pilot teams are nimble and adaptable
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, mathematics, business, finance, sociology, engineering, physics or other related fields or equivalent work experience
- Six or more years of relevant experience
- Familiarity with electric and gas utility regulations and regulatory process
- Organized, with strong drive for results
- Analytically-minded, with some background of quantitative analysis
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline.
- Three or more years performing analytic work related to electric or natural gas policy, planning, regulation, or wholesale markets.Performing project management, product development or analytic work related to electric or natural gas policy, pilots, planning, regulation, or wholesale markets.
- Understanding of electric and/or gas system operations and engineering principles
- At least five years performing analytic work related to electric or natural gas policy, planning, regulation, or wholesale markets
- Management skills and abilities:
- Leads and manages project teams and major cross-functional initiatives.
- Leads business process improvements for analysis or advocacy activities.
- Proficiency in managing multiple assignments simultaneously, prioritizing, and delivering quality results on time
- Can effectively communicate with credibility, confidence and clarity highly complex ideas to diverse audiences
- Technical knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Understanding of California regulatory context
- Understanding of retail and wholesale electric markets
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and executing pilot projects
- Demonstrated experience applying analytical tools, methodologies, and frameworks to business or policy issues in the electric or natural gas industries
- Proficiency with tools and methods for project management and continuous improvement
- Experience with Design Thinking tools and processes