Manager, Cloud Platform Engineering
Requisition ID # 138082
Job Category: Information Technology
Job Level: Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Information Technology
Job Location: Oakland
Information Technology (IT) is a unified organization comprised of various departments which collaborate effectively to deliver high-quality technology solutions.
The Manager, Cloud Platform Engineering, primary objectives will be to:
- Facilitate PG&E's business vision by improving Infrastructure and platforms that all PG&E employees use to design, collaborate, and build great customer experiences.
- Increase service quality, deliver capabilities through the development\deployment of infrastructure and core business productivity application functionality, implementing new technology, reducing costs, increasing productivity, and facilitating organizational and business effectiveness through enabling technologies.
- Provide supervision for those involved in the development, design, testing, implementation, maintenance, support, and operations of PG&E's systems infrastructure.
A critical part of how we operate is to apply design thinking, innovate, and work collaboratively using agile development practices. Through these principles, we work as product teams to help deliver valuable cloud products to our business partners.
- Provides IT services that include planning, development, implementation, and support for systems solutions required for the PG&E line of businesses
- Conducts analyses of asset deployment, use, and acquisition, and dispose of nonperforming assets; evaluates and assess risks as part of the life cycle analysis of portfolio components.
- Utilizes various tools and techniques for estimating costs associated with a project/program including physical, financial and human capital costs.
- Leads the effort in creative approaches to problem solving and quality deliverables supporting business needs
- Accountable for negotiating conflicts and ensuring identified issues are resolved.
- Provides leadership and motivation to team members
- Establish comprehensive service level agreements
- Ensures that the project/program outcome reflects the goals of the organization/business.
- Provides and manage operational support and maintenance for systems and applications; may provide 24x7 support
- Ensures staff has the resources and skills needed to support all projects
- Ensures timely and effective communication regarding the mapping of initiatives to business goals to business partners, including presenting information to IT and business leaders outlining portfolio specifics.
- Acts as a liaison and conduit for information flow between the department team and the rest of the IT and business community, as well as with appropriate external stakeholders; manages the efficient and effective resolution of issues.
- Collaborates with other teams in the delivery and sharing of concepts to leverage across portfolios
- Monitors program results against technical specifications.
- Ensures appropriate resources are assigned to each project/program.
- Develops relationship across IT, with the goal of growing meaningful relationships that will facilitate collaborations and communications.
- Continuous monitoring of emerging tools and technologies to assure the most appropriate technology is being proposed and deployed
- Drives and contributes to the continuous improvement of Infrastructure components, monitoring and processes
- Meaningful metrics to demonstrate the efficiency and effectiveness of the team on a monthly, quarterly, and yearly basis.
- Ensures compliance to standards/regulations and governance processes
- Communicates and champions the infrastructure requirements necessary to execute the IT portfolio
- Manages employees, contractors, and vendors for the efficient delivery of services
- Highly collaborative, able to work cross functionally; possessing the ability to forge relationships and partner effectively
PG&E expects its leaders to conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity and to embody specific leadership qualities.
- Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
- Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
Demonstrates Safety Leadership
- A safety champion in words and deeds with respect to both employee and public safety.
- Maintaining an environment of open dialog and free of retaliation.
Influences and Inspires
- Using various- communications that convey a clear understanding of the needs of different audiences.
- Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related dynamics.
Optimizes Team Performance
- Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Creating a climate where people are developed and motivated to do their best to help the organization.
Values Diversity and Creates Inclusion
- Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Leads Ethically and in a Compliant Manner
- Sponsoring and sustaining a high integrity speak-up corporate culture which prioritizes ethics, safety and compliance.
- Building on necessary level of industry, company, and subject-matter expertise, including laws and regulations.
Provides a High Level of Customer Service
- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, engineering or other related field or equivalent work experience
- (6) years of IT product/program management or infrastructure/operations experience including at least two (2) years’ experience managing large projects/programs in a timely, cost-effective, and solutions-oriented manner.
- Minimum of 3 or more years of experience in private or public cloud technologies
- Background with hands on experience as a software or DevOps engineer
- Master’s degree, M.S./M.B.A., or equivalent work experience in computer science, engineering, or related discipline with an information technology focus
- Experience in DevOps and cloud operating models
- Experience in hybrid cloud strategy/management and migration of on-premises workloads to a public cloud
- Experience in building, shipping, and operating tools to enhance developer and customer experience
- Experience with Python, Scripting, Terraform, CloudFormation and continuous integration in Jenkins, Git and build release tools.
- Experience with full development life cycle for large-scale software products including extensive experience with service-oriented architectures, design patterns, web services, web applications/services development, and interoperability
- ITIL Certification, Project Management Institute Certification, Six Sigma Certification, or SAFe Certification
- Experience in the Utility industry/business.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Demonstrated experience in building and retaining high performing technical teams
- Creates an inclusive environment, where all voices are heard
- A builder who is well versed in cloud architecture and technology, proven record of building scalable services using hybrid cloud infrastructure.
- Highly collaborative, able to work cross- functionally; possessing the ability to forge relationships and partner effectively in pursuit of a common mission and mutual goals
- Knowledge of Agile software development principles, values, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level
- Ability to lead large cross-functional and multidisciplinary teams
- Excellent planning, organizational and project management skills; detail and process-oriented; able to juggle multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong leadership, planning, and customer relationship skills