Requisition ID # 148254
Job Category: Legal
Job Level: Attorney
Business Unit: General Counsel and Ethics & Compliance
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
The Law Department provides timely, efficient and business-focused legal services to the company. The Gas and Electric Operations legal team provides regulatory and transactional support across a broad spectrum of matters pertaining to electric and gas operations, regulation, compliance, wildfire risk mitigation, and energy policy.
The Managing Counsel for Gas and Electric Operations leads a team of attorneys and provides strategic guidance and leadership to achieve company objectives, help mitigate gas and electric risk, and strengthen company processes through the implementation of the company’s lean operating system. The Managing Counsel reports to the Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Utility Strategy and Operations (USO) and works closely and in collaboration with the other leaders in the USO organization. In addition to managing the team of attorneys, the Managing Counsel for Gas and Electric Operations provides legal and strategic advice directly to the senior leaders in Electric and Gas Operations. The Managing Counsel represents clients in various aspects of the company's operations, assists in policy development and implementation, and leads the team in regulatory policy, ratemaking and enforcement proceedings at the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location at the Oakland General Office based on business need.
This position will report to the Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Utility Strategy and Operations (USO).
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity. Although we estimate the successful candidate hired into this role will be placed towards the middle or entry point of the range, the decision will be made on a case-by-case basis related to these factors.
A reasonable salary range is:
Minimum Base Salary: $212,000
Mid Base Salary: $287,000
Maximum Base Salary: $362,000
Minimum Base Salary: $201,000
Mid Base Salary: $273,000
Maximum Base Salary: $344,000
- Lead and build an experienced team to reach fullest potential and highest performance.
- Manage, direct, and provide oversight for the company’s Gas and Electric Operations legal team.
- Provide senior leaders with ongoing legal and regulatory advice regarding cross operational issues and opportunities.
- Provide strategic advice and assistance to leaders to ensure coordination, teamwork, and interconnectedness.
- Effectively manage outside counsel relationships and related budgeting matters.
- Collaborate with colleagues to reach the best solutions on critical matters affecting the enterprise.
- Drive continuous improvement and efficiency.
- Develop and implement regulatory strategy as part of a team that includes regulatory affairs and client representatives from policy and operational organizations.
- Prepare legal documents, including complex pleadings and Board materials.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- J.D. from an accredited law school
- Law Bar Admission, U.S.
- U.S. state bar active member in good standing
- 15 years of relevant legal experience
- Licensed to practice law in California or able to register as In-House Counsel.
- Demonstrated ability to shape, resource, and execute strategy.
- Experience leading skilled attorneys responsible for significant matters.
- Experience in the energy sector
- Experience managing outside and in-house legal resources
- Project management experience
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Experience working with senior officers.
- Ability to provide a high level of client service and build consensus.
- Business acumen and excellent commercial judgment.
- Present with clear credibility and leadership capabilities; unquestionable integrity with personal and professional presence.
- Evidence of the ability to influence across lines of authority.
- Obvious attention to detail; one who leaves “no stone unturned” and expects the highest quality from members of their team.
- A “bridge builder” who can forge relationships and work effectively across a variety of levels within the organization.