Principal Category Leader - Bay Area, CA
Requisition ID # 141560
Job Category: Procurement / Supply Chain
Job Level: Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Supply Chain/Materials
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
The Sourcing organization is the functional lead for the procurement of materials and services at Pacific Gas and Electric Company. The department collaborates with internal clients and suppliers managing $10 billion of annual company spend to develop mutually beneficial total cost solutions for goods and services. The department provides the following services to internal clients: procurement of goods and services, strategic sourcing and cost savings, supplier relationship management, supplier diversity planning, execution and outreach, compliance management, ongoing procurement field support and management of the procure to pay cycle.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. Preferred work location is Oakland, CA, but other locations may be considered. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory. Final work location will be determined between the hiring leader and successful candidate.
We are seeking multiple Principal Category Leads in Oakland, CA. These positions will report to the Sourcing Portfolio Manager, Electric Transmission or Sourcing Portfolio Manager, Electric Distribution and will manage spend categories for programs that may include Underground Construction, Microgrids, Wildfire, Engineering, Battery Storage, Management Consulting/Technical Services, or other related Electric Transmission/Distribution categories.
The Principal Category Lead position develops and manages one or more sourcing spend categories typically up to $1B, and is responsible for effective contract management of all Master Service Agreements associated with the categories. The Principal Category Lead position develops strategic category plans to optimize cost savings, service excellence, diversity spend and total cost of ownership for the categories. He or she will effectively influence LOBs, including senior leadership, to achieve understanding, acceptance, and commitment of sourcing strategies. This position works with the Line of Business (LOB) to develop, source, and negotiate major contracts. He or she plays a key role in the Supplier Relationship Management and Scorecard process.
You will develop and manage one or more sourcing spend categories and manage all contracts associated with them; develop strategic category plans to optimize cost savings, service excellence, diversity spend and total cost of ownership for the categories; effectively influence Lines of Business (LOB) including senior leadership to achieve understanding, acceptance, and commitment of sourcing strategies; and work with LOBs to develop, source, and negotiate major contracts and play a key role in the Supplier Relationship Management/Scorecard process.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity.
A reasonable salary range is:
Bay Area Minimum: $128,000
Bay Area Maximum: $218,000
California Minimum: $122,000
California Maximum: $207,000
- Subject matter expert for particular commodities or services in the industry.
- Lead the development of high complexity category strategies.
- Lead cross-functional team through strategic sourcing process and development/execution of negotiation strategies for high complexity spend categories
- Work with senior management to support strategic planning and decision-making at the officer level.
- Develop and review performance data with suppliers. Works with suppliers to drive ongoing value discovery.
- Develop and sustain mutually beneficial strategic relationships with category and cross-portfolio suppliers.
- Maintain awareness of industry and market trends through ongoing research commodities by working with the industry on best practices.
- Create and maintain category plans.
- Conduct and document market research and supplier risk analysis to verify the financial health of existing and potential suppliers
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, supply chain management or job-related discipline, or equivalent experience
- 8 years of experience in supply chain or job-related field
- 10 years of work experience in procurement or sourcing
- Experience sourcing Construction and/or Engineering Services
- Construction and/or Engineering background
- Excellent negotiation, written and verbal skills.
- MBA or Master’s degree in a job-related discipline
- Lean Six Sigma certification (LSS)
- Project Management Professional certification (PMP)
- Certified Professional in Supply Management (CPSM) from Institute for Supply Management (ISM)
- Competency in building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
- Competency in building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Knowledge of database and information systems – e.g., ARIBA, SCADA, EMS, OMT, OIS, SAP, ERP, COSO, Teradata, COBIT, QuestionMark - as needed to perform at the job level.
- Competency in applying project management theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level
- Competency in leading cross-functional teams and to manage projects of high complexity
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office