Principal Enterprise Architect
Requisition ID # 137701
Job Category: Information Technology
Job Level: Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Information Technology
Job Location: Oakland
Information Technology is a unified organization comprised of various departments which collaborate in order to effectively deliver high quality technology solutions. IT functions are to design, develop, operate and maintain the information and telecommunications systems that enable the Company to meet its commitment to customers: Keeping the Lights on and the Gas Flowing, delivering at a Reasonable Price, and Providing Simple and Convenient Options.
The Enterprise Strategy & Architecture (ES&A) is a centralized architecture group within Information Technology department. The group supports PG&E’s safety, reliability and affordability goals under the architecture mandate of Reuse, Rationalize, Optimize, and Standardize.
Reporting to the Lead Enterprise Architect, the successful candidate in the role will be a Master Planner with a big picture mindset responsible for turning the architecture vision for the business domain into reality by:
- Developing thorough understanding of the business processes, application portfolio, underlying IT infrastructure
- Suggesting technology needs to enable business maturity and help prioritize the right investments
- Create business architecture models to help connect business vision, goals and outcomes to corresponding technology implementation roadmaps
- Owning the architecture of a portfolio of applications
- Create enterprise strategy by aligning with various other enterprise strategies
- Helping build and maintain prioritized portfolio backlogs for business features and foundational or shared capabilities
- Enabling and empowering execution teams by delivering reusable architecture patterns, architecture building blocks, reference architectures, implementation best practices, and architecture decision frameworks
- Coaching, mentoring, and guiding the implementation teams throughout the value chain
- Rolling up the sleeves to get the job done is required
- Collaborating with several teams within Business and IT on a regular basis.
The successful candidate will have strong experience with diverse set of technologies and platforms with deep expertise in at least a few, highly analytical, and project management skills. You should also have strong leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills. Experience working with or in the utility industry is highly desirable but not required.
- Partner with Executive and Senior leadership to define the Digital Strategy
- Accountable for the development and maintenance of Digital Strategy and multiyear Technology Roadmap for the Enterprise Business Function to enable Digital Transformation
- Coordinate plans/roadmaps across enterprise groups to manage conflicts, redundancies and interdependencies.
- Orchestrate and map the customer journey
- Support and Lead Vendor Assessments, Application rationalization efforts
- Assess current state IT application environment and develop future state IT Architecture
- Set Enterprise Standards and promote standard adherence
- Support the IT Strategic plan and the portfolio modernization process
- Lead the enablement and advancement of Enterprise Architecture Standards and community of practice at PG&E.
- Partner with all Business Technology Leads and Architects to ensure alignment of solutions with existing reference architectures and contribute to enhancing them
- Works individually and collectively with other domain enterprise architects to ensure breadth and granularity of strategies, standards, design patterns and roadmaps are consistent and integrated across an encompassing enterprise Reference Architecture.
- Support Project Delivery, review and provide solution designs
- Provide technology guidance and leadership to clients/stakeholders
- Stay up to date with developments and technology in the Mobile, Cloud and other segments of the industry
- Ability to thrive in a fast moving, Agile environment
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Eng. or a related subject or equivalent experience
- Minimum 10 years of enterprise architecture experience
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business, or a related field
- Excellent Communication and Interpersonal skills
- Solution architecture and project implementation experience
- Business architecture experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- High-energy, passionate, and positive outlook with strong sense of ownership
- Experience or familiarity with diverse set of application development technologies and platforms with deep expertise in at least a few:
- Cloud architecture (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP, Salesforce, Heroku, SAP)
- APIs and Microservices (e.g. REST, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS ECS, Azure AKS)
- Relational Databases (e.g. MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle)
- AI and Machine Learning (e.g. TensorFlow, SageMaker, Pytorch, scikit-learn)
- Good understanding of business and data architecture, business capability mapping, and business process reengineering
- Familiarity with Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Relevant architecture certification such as TOGAF
- Relevant utility industry experience