Principal Service Planning & Design Tariff Analyst- Flexible Location
Requisition ID # 143020
Job Category: Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level: Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Gas Engineering
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland; Alameda; Alta; Angels Camp; Antioch; Auberry; Auburn; Avenal; Avila Beach; Bakersfield; Balch Camp; Bear Valley; Belden; Bellota; Belmont; Benicia; Berkeley; Brentwood; Brisbane; Buellton; Burney; Buttonwillow; Calistoga; Campbell; Canyon Dam; Canyondam; Capitola; Caruthers; Chico; Clearlake; Clovis; Coalinga; Colusa; Concord; Concord; Corcoran; Cottonwood; Cupertino; Daly City; Danville; Davis; Dinuba; Downieville; Dublin; Emeryville; Eureka; Fairfield; Folsom; Fort Bragg; Fortuna; Fremont; French Camp; Fresno; Fresno; Fulton; Garberville; Geyserville; Gilroy; Grass Valley; Guerneville; Half Moon Bay; Hayward; Hinkley; Hollister; Holt; Huron; Jackson; Kerman; King City; Lakeport; Lemoore; Lincoln; Linden; Livermore; Lodi; Loomis; Los Banos; Lower Lake; Madera; Magalia; Manteca; Manton; Mariposa; Martell; Marysville; Maxwell; Menlo Park; Merced; Meridian; Millbrae; Milpitas; Modesto; Monterey; Montgomery Creek; Morgan Hill; Morro Bay; Moss Landing; Mountain View; Napa; Needles; Newark; Newman; Novato; Oakdale; Oakhurst; Oakley; Olema; Orinda; Orland; Oroville; Palo Alto; Palo Cedro; Paradise; Parkwood; Paso Robles; Petaluma; Pioneer; Pismo Beach; Pittsburg; Placerville; Pleasant Hill; Point Arena; Potter Valley; Quincy; Rancho Cordova; Red Bluff; Redding; Richmond; Ridgecrest; Rio Vista; Rocklin; Roseville; Round Mountain; Sacramento; Salinas; San Bruno; San Carlos; San Francisco; San Francisco; San Jose; San Luis Obispo; San Mateo; San Rafael; San Ramon; San Ramon; Sanger; Santa Cruz; Santa Maria; Santa Nella; Santa Rosa; Selma; Shaver Lake; Sonoma; Sonora; South San Francisco; Springville; Stockton; Storrie; Taft; Tracy; Turlock; Twain; Ukiah; Vacaville; Vallejo; Walnut Creek; Wasco; Washington; Watsonville; West Sacramento; Wheatland; Whitmore; Willits; Willow Creek; Willows; Windsor; Winters; Woodland; Yuba City
The company’s Service Planning and Design organization (SP&D) supports the business vision by delivering customers safe, reliable, and affordable electric and gas services in compliance with all applicable regulatory and internal requirements. SP&D supports both gas and electric operations through its customer project management, design and estimating functions.
Provide consulting services to internal lines of business on tariff related issues, including customer-specific inquiries, escalated complaints and understanding and interpretation of complex legal and regulatory matters and the associated enterprise-wide and customer related impacts. Uses tariff and regulatory expertise and knowledge of PG&E’s operations, customers’ end-use equipment and customers’ business processes. Service is provided to any line of business upon request.
Tariff Interpretation and Compliance
• In partnership with PG&E’s Law and Regulatory Relations Departments, and other California utilities, provide “source of truth” in response to internal or external questions regarding the appropriate interpretation of the tariffs where such interpretation is not apparent from the plain language of the tariffs. Analyze complex tariff interpretation questions, develop alternative interpretations where appropriate, and provide recommendation to lines of business regarding the appropriate interpretation of the tariff, working with Law and Regulatory Relations to seek guidance from the CPUC if needed.
• Lead or support line of business efforts to remediate tariff compliance issues, including identification of compliance gaps and root cause, support for any necessary regulatory filings, employee training, process improvement efforts, and internal or external communications.
• Provide internal tariff training, guidance documents and reference materials to support compliance with tariffs by front-line employees.
• Participate in/support the handling of escalated customer concerns, related to areas of expertise, in a timely and thorough manner, in accordance with established regulation, company practice and customer needs.
• Advise Sr. Management on the appropriate response to escalated complaints regarding current tariffs or tariff interpretation and meet with executives or other representatives from customer organizations as needed to explain complex tariff issues.
• Recommend/develop tariff-based solutions to meet the unique or changing needs of a specific customer or industry.
• Participate in settlement discussions, mediation, arbitration and other civil or regulatory proceedings as PG&E’s expert witness or lead negotiator to resolve claims arising from PG&E’s tariff interpretation.
• Contribute expertise in the area of regulatory and procedural history, customer needs and impacts, operational needs and impacts, and regulatory priorities and sensitivities, to support the development and implementation of regulatory, legislative, external and internal policies and procedures. Drawing upon extensive knowledge and experience, bring a broad perspective to the table to assist policy makers in striking the appropriate balance between the differing interests of various internal and external stakeholders when developing policy.
• Interact and partner with key regulatory agencies, including CPUC, CEC, FERC, other utilities, CAISO, industry groups and key market players to influence decision makers as well as policy and regulatory direction.
• Provide management briefings on policy issues, and document policy positions.
• Work jointly with other key contacts at the other California utilities and industry stakeholders on policy and regulatory efforts.
• Evaluate policies, technologies, programs, customer needs and industry direction to identify customer and company benefits and propose forward-looking tariff solutions. Development of and support for policy and regulatory positions, including participation in regulatory proceedings and assistance with data requests from regulators and senior management.
• Liaison with CPUC, CAISO, FERC, Air Resource Boards, other California utilities, customers and industry associations for the purpose of policy development or issue resolution.
• Development of tailored tariff solutions to meet the unique or changing needs of a specific customer or industry.
Location is flexible within the PG&E Service Territory, please note hiring leader will make final decision of what are appropriate headquarters for the role based on business need.
Position may require <25% travel time in work schedule.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
• BA/BS or equivalent
• 10 years of related work experience
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and (Technical) Competencies
- Consistently demonstrated proficiency in achieving resolution to complex issues while optimizing outcome for customers, internal lines of business and shareholders
- Demonstrated ability to provide proactive, high quality customer service while resolving issues of the highest complexity, visibility and impact
- Thought leader with extensive, unique subject matter expertise
- Effective at negotiating and able to communicate effectively and comfortably at all levels internally and with customers and third parties
- Superior presentation skills, particularly when presenting to senior management level leadership
- Ability to use understanding of the business to help drive strategic decision making, and to recommend operational improvements
- Deep knowledge and expertise of business and or industry drivers, regulatory policy and strategy
- Ability to lead and implement key process improvements
- Possesses in-depth and unique industry and regulatory expertise, including a high degree of technical knowledge regarding the processes or business operations of one or more customer segments, and experience as a witness in one or more regulatory proceedings
- Ability to effectively communicate highly complex ideas to diverse audiences using a variety of media
- Deep knowledge and expertise of business and or industry drivers, regulatory policy and policy strategy and development processes
• Drives resolution of unique and complex tariff problems for internal organizations anticipating issues and developing innovative solutions. Typical issues require cross functional involvement.
• Often works with Senior Management to manage strategic planning and decision-making on issues which have enterprise-wide impact.
• Provides unique subject matter presentations on complex issues to senior management.
• Proactively reviews and provides feedback on the development and execution of tariff-related initiatives.
• Acts as a thought leader; develops and drives innovative tariff strategies and solutions to complex issues using a network of internal and external resources.
• Anticipates policy issues and develops innovative strategies and solutions to mitigate risks or impacts to the company.
• Ability to use understanding of the business to help drive strategic decision making, and to recommend operational improvements.