Senior Analyst, Central Procurement Entity Transactions
Requisition ID # 137704
Job Category: Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Energy Policy & Procurement
Job Location: Oakland
The Energy Policy and Procurement (EPP) organization procures energy-related products and manages PG&E’s policy activities for energy proceedings, actively participating in regulatory and legislative proceedings that shape the design and implementation of state, regional, and federal energy regulations and policy. In addition, EPP is responsible for long-term planning, risk management, and compliance functions related to PG&E’s energy portfolio.
The Central Power Procurement Entity (CPPE) team is responsible for the procurement of wholesale energy and capacity products to support local reliability of California’s electric grid on behalf of the company’s electric distribution customers. The CPPE team structures, negotiates and manages various procurement solicitations and power purchase contracts for a wide variety of resource technologies, including renewable energy, energy storage and distributed energy resources to help California meet its energy policy objectives at minimum cost.
As a key contributor to the CPPE team, this individual will administer various procurement solicitations, negotiate commercial terms and conditions of energy contracts, develop models to support commercial procurement activities, and contribute to other areas of the company's central energy procurement efforts. This role will work closely with other teams including Energy Contract Management and Settlements (back office), Short Term Electric Supply (front office), Law, Market and Credit Risk Management, Energy Compliance and Reporting, and Regulatory Affairs. Success in this position will require the ability to motivate and influence the work of others and working across teams within the Energy Policy and Procurement organization, and throughout the Company. This person will bring a passion for commercial excellence and customer service to help the CPPE transact across multiple energy products.
- Leads the execution of procurement solicitations for new and innovative product offerings.
- Negotiates contract terms for energy and capacity products from renewable, energy storage and distributed energy resources.
- Drafts strategy papers and PRG presentations, drafts testimony, and supports requests from the Independent Evaluator.
- Evaluates offers resulting from solicitations and bilateral negotiations, develops evaluation criteria, leads counter-offer preparation, and prepares analysis of offers.
- Builds and manages relationships with new and existing entities in the market area of focus.
- Develops models, tools, regulatory filings, and forecasting materials to support commercial procurement activities.
- Prepares strategy papers and presentations, testimony, and supports requests from internal and external parties, including the California Public Utilities Commission and other regulatory agencies.
- Participates in identification, development, implementation, and resolution of issues associated with complex, cross-functional strategy and policy matters.
- Bachelor’s Degree with coursework in a business-related field, mathematics, engineering, or equivalent field of study; or equivalent experience
- Three years of relevant work experience, with a strong preference for experience in wholesale energy and capacity markets
- MBA or Master’s degree in related field
- Two years of work experience in the wholesale supply side, development side, or strategy/policy side of the energy industry
- Ability to present moderately complex data and findings to diverse audiences; to lead Company development activities and to represent CPPE in discussions of electric procurement issues
- Ability to influence key decision makers
- Ability to manage cross functional projects and initiatives
- Excellent project management skills.
- Ability to analyze complex problems and recommend solutions despite incomplete information and limited time
- Excellent communication skills – interpersonal, written and presentation, including experience and ability to deliver executive level briefings – taking complex concepts and describing them thoroughly and succinctly.
- Ability to maintain a work environment that fosters teamwork, information and experience sharing, constructive communication and professional and individual development
- Knowledge and experience with California’s wholesale energy and capacity (resource adequacy) markets
- Understanding of energy markets (fossil, renewable, energy storage, etc.) including commercial aspects, policy aspects, and the role/business model of a utility
- Understanding of Western Energy and CAISO market rules, energy products and compliance obligations
- Understanding of the meaning and rationale of PG&E contract provisions; typical counterparty concerns; and the impact of specific contract language
- Knowledge of the procurement needs for the company’s wholesale energy portfolio, the impacts of, the company’s competitive position, and rules and regulations that impact procurement
- Knowledge of utility ratemaking, cost recovery and other regulatory matters