Senior Capital Recovery Financial Analyst
Requisition ID # 144471
Job Category: Accounting / Finance
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Finance
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland; Alameda; Alta; Angels Camp; Antioch; Auberry; Auburn; Avenal; Avila Beach; Bakersfield; Balch Camp; Bear Valley; Belden; Bellota; Belmont; Benicia; Berkeley; Brentwood; Brisbane; Buellton; Burney; Buttonwillow; Calistoga; Campbell; Canyon Dam; Canyondam; Capitola; Caruthers; Chico; Clearlake; Clovis; Coalinga; Colusa; Concord; Concord; Corcoran; Cottonwood; Cupertino; Daly City; Danville; Davis; Dinuba; Downieville; Dublin; Emeryville; Eureka; Fairfield; Folsom; Fort Bragg; Fortuna; Fremont; French Camp; Fresno; Fresno; Fulton; Garberville; Geyserville; Gilroy; Goodyear; Grass Valley; Guerneville; Half Moon Bay; Hayward; Hinkley; Hollister; Holt; Houston; Huron; Jackson; Kerman; King City; Lakeport; Lemoore; Lincoln; Linden; Livermore; Lodi; Loomis; Los Banos; Lower Lake; Madera; Magalia; Manteca; Manton; Mariposa; Martell; Marysville; Maxwell; Menlo Park; Merced; Meridian; Millbrae; Milpitas; Modesto; Monterey; Montgomery Creek; Morgan Hill; Morro Bay; Moss Landing; Mountain View; Napa; Needles; Newark; Newman; Novato; Oakdale; Oakhurst; Oakley; Olema; Orinda; Orland; Oroville; Palo Alto; Palo Cedro; Paradise; Parkwood; Paso Robles; Petaluma; Pioneer; Pismo Beach; Pittsburg; Placerville; Pleasant Hill; Point Arena; Potter Valley; Quincy; Rancho Cordova; Red Bluff; Redding; Richmond; Ridgecrest; Rio Vista; Rocklin; Roseville; Round Mountain; Sacramento; Salinas; San Bruno; San Carlos; San Francisco; San Francisco; San Jose; San Luis Obispo; San Mateo; San Rafael; San Ramon; San Ramon; Sanger; Santa Cruz; Santa Maria; Santa Nella; Santa Rosa; Selma; Shaver Lake; Sonoma; Sonora; South San Francisco; Springville; Stockton; Storrie; Taft; Tracy; Turlock; Twain; Ukiah; Vacaville; Vallejo; Walnut Creek; Wasco; Washington; Watsonville; West Sacramento; Wheatland; Whitmore; Willits; Willow Creek; Willows; Windsor; Winters; Woodland; Yuba City
PG&E’s Capital Recovery and Analysis team in the Controller’s department is a key provider of financial analysis and support for the company’s capital forecasts and budgets, as well as filings and analysis that supports the company’s regulatory rate cases. The department is responsible for the company’s forecasting capital related items totaling over $90 billion in plant assets.
This is your opportunity to join our team in an industry that is rapidly changing. You will have the opportunity to participate in developing and implementing processes and tools related to budget and financial forecasts, analyzing business results, and advising partners on business/operating impacts. The team also provides testimony and supporting analysis for rate case filings and recommendations on regulatory strategy and processes, all of which contribute directly to determining the company’s revenues.
We are seeking a talented, initiative-taking Senior Financial Analyst to join our team. This is an excellent opportunity to highlight your analytical skills and work in a high-profile department where you can contribute and be recognized.
The successful candidate will engage with all levels of management from various departments on forecasting and budgeting preparing and presenting variance analysis to leadership, and prepare, review and research regulatory decisions and filings. Additionally, this position will forecast capital revenue requirements and analyze data for regulatory filings as well as strategize beneficial ways to balance recovery costs and provide rate stability to customers.
The Capital Recovery and Analysis team supports many organizations throughout the company. This unique opportunity provides you with exposure to key stakeholders at PG&E and provides an environment to learn about various lines of businesses here.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location based on business need. The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity. This job is also eligible to participate in PG&E’s discretionary incentive compensation programs.
A reasonable salary range is:
California Minimum: $88,000
California Maximum: $132,000
Regulatory Strategy and Analysis
- Uses or enhances existing financial models and/or develops new models in Excel (occasionally in VBA and/or Access) for analysis and/or reporting.
- Prepares forecasts, data requests, and workpapers for plant, depreciation, and rate base as part of filings to the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for the General Rate Case (GRC), Gas Transmission and Storage (GT&S), Transmission Owner (TO) rate cases, and other capital-related rate case filings.
- Researches, interprets, and analyzes regulatory decisions, regulatory accounting, cost recovery proposals, revenue requirement impacts, and other analysis in support of regulatory proceedings.
- Prepares analysis for rate case witnesses for plant, depreciation, and rate base to support testimony in regulatory proceedings.
- May write memos or testimony on cost recovery issues.
- Comfortable researching and analyzing issues when information is ambiguous or incomplete.
- Enhance controls over financial models
- Identify capital accounting issues and communicate issues effectively across teams
Financial Planning, Forecasting, and Analysis
- Prepare accurate and timely budget, forecasts, and analysis for capital-related items, including plant, CWIP, depreciation, AFUDC, decommissioning, and rate base.
- Establishes, builds, and maintains relationships with key business partners. Engages with business partners (i.e., business finance; lines of businesses; accounting; tax; enterprise financial forecasting; and planning, forecasting, and reporting) to ensure consistency and accuracy of accounting data, regulatory decisions, and assumptions of forecasts as part of regulatory filings and financial forecasts.
- Provide recommendations to manager and director with supporting analysis.
- Prepare monthly capital analysis package.
- May lead/manage cross-functional projects and initiatives
Process and Systems Improvement
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement, promotes a “best practices” environment.
- Leads efforts to promote efficiency within existing processes in areas of responsibility
- Contributes to the department and company projects initiatives to improve processes and understands / translates financial impacts.
- Shares knowledge with team members through thorough documentation, presentations at team meetings, and training.
- Requires a BS degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Economics, Engineering or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 4 years of relevant finance, regulatory relations, and /or accounting experience
- Ability to use logic to solve problems; persistent in seeking solution
- Strong analytical skills with an attention to detail and passion for excellence
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Proficient in Microsoft Access
- Capital accounting and/or utility industry experience
- SAP, BPC, BW and/or Power Plant experience
- Professional license, such as CPA or CMA