Senior Manager, Operations Communications
Requisition ID # 152362
Job Category: Corporate Affairs / Communication
Job Level: Senior Manager
Business Unit: Customer & Comms
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
Marketing and Communications develops, executes, and oversees a broad spectrum of strategic external and internal communications initiatives, provides communications counsel and support to all functional areas and manages the marketing and corporate branding programs at PG&E.
Responsible for the management, leadership, and direction of various PG&E communications programs including internal, external, executive, media, and/or online communications. Directs and manages the performance of communications strategies and initiatives with the goal of sustaining and advancing the company’s reputable products and services with various internal and external stakeholders including but not limited to PG&E executives, employees, customers, clients, the media, and general public. Builds and sustains company-wide consensus and provides strategic counseling and communications expertise to all management and leadership levels within the company. Ensures and reviews that all communications programs, strategies, and support are aligned with the company’s mission, vision, business strategy, brand, goals, and objectives. As a manager of people, selects, develops, and evaluates staff to ensure the efficient operation of each department.
in this role, you will provide communications strategy and tactics including internal, external, executive, media and/or online communications related to some of the company’s largest operational units and workstreams, including Electric Operations, Wildfire & Emergency Operations, Major Infrastructure Delivery and more. You will direct and manage a small team of communications professionals, in conjunction with Marketing & Communications leaders, with the goal of sustaining and advancing the company's reputation and focus on safety, innovation, and reliability. You will ensure and review that all communications programs, strategies, and support are aligned with the company's Purpose, Virtues and Stands.
The position is hybrid working from your remote office and Oakland General Office on average 0-3 days per week or as business needs require. Additionally, the position will require travel at least 10% of the time within the PG&E service territory. You also must be willing and able to serve in an on-call capacity as part of an emergency response team, including on nights, weekends, and holidays. Each team typically serves one week per month.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity. Although we estimate the successful candidate hired into this role will be placed towards the middle or entry point of the range, the decision will be made on a case-by-case basis related to these factors. This job is also eligible to participate in PG&E’s discretionary incentive compensation programs.
A reasonable salary range is:
Bay Area Minimum: $144,000
Bay Area Maximum: $244,000
- In conjunction with department leaders, develops the strategic goals, objectives, development, and execution of communication programs, initiatives, and strategies for several of PG&E’s operational units.
- Manages and develops communications strategies for PG&E’s C-level, senior leadership and ensures the alignment of communication plans and messaging with company goals and objectives.
- Ensures all communications are integrated and aligned with all PG&E departments, functional areas and external functions.
- Provides strategic expertise, counsel, and resolution regarding communications programs, plans, and strategies to various management and leadership levels at PG&E, functional area, and external clients.
- Manages and leads knowledge, skill, and competency exchange across functional and system boundaries to ensure seamless business process integration.
- Participates in representing the communications function within crisis and emergency response situations and serves on the PG&Es formal emergency response team.
- Manages, leads, coaches, mentors and develops a team of communications professionals.
- Direct contact with media, both proactively and reactively, to respond to inquiries and raise awareness of PG&E’s safety, reliability and affordability progress.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- 10 years work experience in corporate communications or related field
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
- Ability to travel using personal vehicle
- 3 years of management experience
- Experience in coaching and mentoring a team
- Utility industry experience
- ABC-Accredited Business Communicator Certification
- APR-Accredited in Public Relations Certification
- PCM-Professional Certified Marketer certification
- Knowledge, understanding, and experience with crisis communication management
- Ability to counsel and provide communications expertise to all management and leadership levels internally/externally to support strategic planning and decision making
- Ability to resolve complex and controversial issues and manage effective campaigns
- Ability to understand and decipher multiple demographic and non-verbal languages
- Consumer savvy skills to identify and achieve their needs, expectations, goals, and objectives.
- Strategic communications planning and implementation management skills
- Consensus-building, collaboration, and negotiation skills
- Analytical, strategic thinking, and logical reasoning skills