Sr. Operations Systems Engineer
Requisition ID # 148267
Job Category: Engineering / Science; Information Technology
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
Department Overview:The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
The Electric Operations Asset Health and Performance Center team launches new innovative solutions PG&E needs to safety & reliably operate the grid of the future with a focus on risks created by climate change. It employs and operates technologies/applications that provide data for real time grid monitoring and analytics of asset health & performance to become predictive of developing problems on the distribution system enabling PG&E to implement proactive maintenance activities.
Position Summary:The Asset Health and Performance Center Senior Operations Systems Engineer evaluates, pilots, and implements cutting edge technologies, which plays a key role in PG&E’s vision of building and maintaining a safe and reliable system in our continually changing environment. This strategically oriented candidate will play a crucial role in defining and executing innovative technology and pilot projects that enable this vision.
This position will serve as a technical lead for evaluating and implementing new technologies that will be piloted and operationalized to keep our distribution system safe and reliable. This position requires a strong ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries and engage with a diverse set of stakeholders and technology users. A strong applicant will be an organized, motivated, and focused consensus builder, who can lead high performing cross-functional project teams in a fast-paced environment. The Senior Operations Systems Engineer will be involved with but not limited to Smart Grid Technology (continuous monitoring sensor technologies such as Line Sensors, Fault Detection sensors, advanced smart meters), and other new emerging technology & applications that support asset health & performance monitoring, early detection of assets on path to failure, better determination of fault location, and advanced data analytics.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity.
A reasonable salary range is:
- Minimum (Bay Area)$114,000.00
- Maximum (Bay Area)$182,000.00
- Works with limited guidance to complete assignments of broad scope and complexity with few precedents or standards, and assignments requiring integration of information from variety of sources.
- Applies knowledge of concepts, principles, & practices in Ops. Systems Engineering to resolve complex problems.
- Evaluate & influence technology development in the market by engaging industry leaders, peer utilities, & vendors.
- Test & pilot new technology to understand implementation opportunities/challenges, driving learning at PG&E.
- Implements wider-scale deployment of new Smart Grid technologies within Electric Operations.
- Develops, documents, & implements guidelines, training materials, technical specifications, and processes.
- Supports planning, architecture, and designs for complete systems in development.
- Manages multiple internal and external clients and acts as a second tier of support to less senior engineers.
- Engaging PG&E and external stakeholders to develop solutions that create value for end users.
- Assists in customizing and upgrading operating & related systems to meet on-going user needs.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering-Electrical or job-related discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience in power systems operations, or related, 5 years
- PE-Professional Engineer license
- Experience in engineering, consulting, project management, product management, vendor management
- Familiarity with Distribution Operations focused Smart Grid Technologies such as wireless line sensors, calculated fault location, Smart Meter analytics, FLISR, FAN, and other similar technologies. Familiar with commercial/industrial electrical and/or mechanical prints
- Ability to manage and prioritize time appropriately in a time sensitive operations environment.
- Competency in planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Ability to take the lead and project manage multiple technical projects.
- Strong verbal/written communication/presentation skills; Technical writing and documentation skill
- Ability to effectively communicate high complex ideas to diverse audiences, including senior leadership.
- Familiar with commercial/industrial electrical and/or mechanical prints
- Technical understanding of overall challenges of grid modernization
- Demonstrated experience supporting initiatives that involve cross-functional engagement to build consensus and influence multiple stakeholders to achieve project objectives.
- Ability to be creative, versatile, efficient, and productive in the face of ambiguity.
- Strong drive for results, continuous improvement, and operational efficiencies
- Ability to integrate & analyze complex data from various sources to identify trends/patterns for predictive analytics.
- Understanding or expertise in system/application integration and interfaces
- Proficiency with Microsoft Professional Office Suites; Knowledge of Perl, C++, SQL, Python, Areva systems, Ladder Logic, Programmable Logic Controller, Visual Basic, C/C++, and software testing/integration for real-time systems
- Proficient with SCADA Human Interface