Structured Energy Transactions & Solicitations Analyst
Requisition ID # 137130
Job Category: Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Energy Policy & Procurement
Job Location: Oakland
The Energy Transactions & Solicitations team is responsible for procuring the Company’s wholesale power purchase contracts, including those specifically for renewable energy and energy storage resources. The team manages procurement program solicitations. Each of these programs must be designed to procure specific energy and capacity products to satisfy the policy objectives at minimum cost. Team members must also help manage the impacts of these programs on existing Company lines of business.
As a key contributor to the Structured Energy Transactions group, this individual will administer various procurement solicitations and contribute in other areas of PG&E's structured energy procurement efforts. This position will be responsible for leading various procurement solicitations related to renewables, energy storage, distribution deferral projects, etc. This position is an excellent opportunity to develop unique commercial experience in the clean/renewable industry.
Play a significant role in originating long-term power purchase and sales agreements by leading the execution of moderately complex solicitations for new and innovative product offerings. This requires ensuring successful program design, launch, and ongoing implementation. This individual will be responsible for procurement process development (requires coordination with various stakeholders), system and procedure implementation, internal communication/coordination and governance, external communication/outreach (materials, webinars, etc.), program launch, extensive counterparty interaction, internal/external reporting, etc.
Provide commercial guidance and support to the design and implementation of various developing procurement programs/solicitations. This requires developing an understanding of utility energy procurement, the commercial aspects of program design and associated power purchase agreements (PPAs), and the interrelationships with other programs/considerations, both internally and externally.
Other activities include supporting the development of commercial policy, creating and maintaining program procedures, responding to internal and external data requests, providing support for other procurement programs as needed; and participating in process improvement, process documentation and data quality efforts to support satisfaction of regulatory requirements.
- Bachelor’s Degree with coursework in a business-related field, mathematics, engineering, or equivalent field of study; or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 1 years of commercial/business experience
- Experienced with Microsoft Office products (e.g. Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong preference for experience in energy
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated project management skills / strong organizational skills
- Experience and/or education related to the environmental and/or energy markets preferred
- Demonstrated experience of successfully working with cross functional teams
- Understanding of energy storage and renewable energy markets, including commercial aspects, policy aspects, and the role/business model of a utility
- Understanding of Western Energy and CAISO market rules, energy products, and compliance obligations
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight
- Competency in planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- Competency in making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including the ability to tailor presentations to various stakeholders from executive to analyst levels
- MBA or Master’s degree in related field preferred