Structured Energy Trnsacts Analyst, Sr
Requisition ID # 144865
Job Category: Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Energy Policy & Procurement
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
The Energy Policy and Procurement (EPP) organization procures energy-related products and manages PG&E’s policy activities for energy proceedings, actively participating in regulatory and legislative proceedings that shape the design and implementation of state, regional, and federal energy regulations and policy. In addition, EPP is responsible for long-term planning, risk management, and compliance functions related to PG&E’s energy portfolio.
The Structured Energy Transactions (SET) Department is responsible for structuring, negotiating, and managing the procurement and the solicitation processes for PG&E’s wholesale electric portfolio structured energy transactions. SET is responsible for an extraordinary range of agreements- from procuring for storage, solar, biomass, geothermal, wind, and more and must execute these duties in a way that is fair to the market and protects our customer’s interests. We are executing the transactions to help the state meet its reliability, greenhouse, and other policy goals. To do this, SET must have a deep understanding of our policy and procurement landscape, implement rigorous processes to run solicitations, learn the marketplace, and dive deeply into quantitative and contract details to achieve commercial excellence.
The Energy Transactions & Solicitations Team, within SET, is responsible for procuring the Company’s wholesale power purchase contracts including those specifically for renewable energy and storage resources. The team manages procurement program solicitations, each of which must be designed to procure specific energy and capacity products to satisfy the policy objectives at minimum cost.
As a key contributor to the Energy Transactions & Solicitations team, this individual will administer various procurement solicitations, negotiate commercial terms and conditions of energy contracts, and contribute in other areas of PG&E's structured energy procurement efforts. This person will bring a passion for commercial excellence and customer service to help PG&E transact across energy products. This role may be responsible for leading various commercial activities to procure renewable energy, distributed resources, or storage capacity for example. This role will work closely with other teams including Energy Settlements and Contract Management (back office), Short Term Electric Transactions (front office), Portfolio Management, Law, Risk, and Regulatory Affairs. Success in this position will require the ability to motivate and influence the work of others and working across teams within the Energy Policy and Procurement organization, and throughout the company. Information about the work that this position is responsible for can be found on www.pge.com/rfo.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity. This job is also eligible to participate in PG&E’s discretionary incentive compensation programs.
A reasonable salary range is:
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and based on business needs.
- Originates structured long-term power purchase and sales agreement by supporting the execution of solicitations including solicitations for new and innovative product offerings.
- Supports the negotiation of terms and conditions of power purchase or power sale agreements
- Drafts strategy papers and PRG presentations, drafts testimony, and supports requests from the Independent Evaluator.
- Builds and manages relationships with new and existing entities in the market area of focus.
- Evaluates offers resulting from solicitations and bilateral negotiations, leads counter-offer preparation, prepares analysis of offers, and manages overall procurement.
- Acts as a contributor in the development of strategy or resolution of complex issues.
- Participates in identification, development, implementation, and resolution of issues associated with complex, cross-functional strategy and policy matters.
- Bachelor’s Degree with coursework in a business- related field, mathematics, engineering, or equivalent field of study; or equivalent experience
- • Three years of relevant work experience
- One year of relevant work experience
- Knowledge of the procurement needs for the Company’s wholesale energy portfolio, the impacts of procurements, the company’s competitive position, and the rules and regulations that impact procurement
- Understanding of meaning and rationale of PG&E contract provisions; typical counterparty concerns; and the impacts of contract language
- Ability to lead negotiations and to develop new procurement products and contract documents
- Ability to present moderately complex data and findings to diverse audiences; to lead Company development activities and to represent Structured Energy Transactions in discussions of electric procurement issues
- Knowledge of organizational structures, decision making and governance procedures regarding commercial procurement
- Ability to influence key decision makers
- Ability to manage projects and initiatives
- Ability to analyze complex problems and recommend solutions despite incomplete information and limited time
- Ability to maintain a work environment that fosters teamwork, information and experience sharing, constructive communication and professional and individual development
- Demonstrated focus on quality, efficiency, and continuous improvement.
- Excellent communication skills – interpersonal, written and presentation, including experience and ability to deliver executive level briefings – taking complex concepts and describing them thoroughly and succinctly.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment, be self-motivated, and be detail oriented.