Supervisor, Vegetation Management Operations (Flexible location)
Requisition ID # 147984
Job Category: Project / Program Management
Job Level: Supervisor
Business Unit: Operations - Other
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Oakland
The Vegetation Management Leadership leads staff and outside contractors to ensure public safety, electric reliability, and regulatory compliance with state and federal vegetation management rules. The incumbents also serve as subject matter experts, provide guidance and influence, and act as external leaders in the industry on regulatory issues and market strategies. The leaders work with customers and public entities to monitor and manage vegetation proximity to PG&E assets to ensure system reliability and safety objectives. The leaders promote and adhere to all company and regulatory safety guidelines and requirements.
- This position is hybrid, working from your remote office, and your assigned location based on business need. Headquarter location is flexible within PG&E service territory.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, collective bargaining agreements, and internal equity.
A reasonable salary range is:
Bay Area Minimum: $118,000
Bay Area Maximum: $188,000
California Minimum: $112,000
California Maximum: $179,000
This job is also eligible to participate in PG&E’s discretionary incentive compensation programs.
- Leads and supervises Vegetation Management program Managers and outside contractors. Operates under general standards and makes short- and long-term decisions which align with department strategy.
- Provides oversight and mentors assigned Vegetation Program Managers.
- Deals with complex and difficult issues with programs, customers and public entities escalated from subordinates. Speaks and/or presents to external entities such as city councils, governmental agencies, and community groups, representing PG&E’s position regarding sensitive vegetation issues. Seeks resolutions that meet safety and business needs.
- Reviews and approves invoices, purchase orders and funding associated with complex projects.
- Manages multiple programs and projects that support other lines of business.
- Reports out, provides updates and corrective actions, and holds huddles under the Lean Management model.
- Oversees Vegetation Management safety investigations and corrective action plans.
- May be assigned to own inititatives and coordinate activities for whole department.
- Develops and executes project plans and ensures work is on track. Develops performance measures for team. Ensures performance measures and tactics align with the whole department. Collaborates with department managers on annual and long-term overall department goals.
- Reviews and develops forecast, tracking against associated budget; updates on monthly basis and provides to the VM PMO group for consolidation and reporting. Monitors expenses and reports on actuals vs. budget. Explains variances to manager. Creates new and/or manages existing data models for work forecasting.
- Leads performance improvement teams across Vegetation Management and continually seeks and recommends opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Collaborates with and influences both internal and external contacts and stakeholders of various levels on issues and developments affecting vegetation management for the company and/or industry. Serves as a subject matter expert, participating in projects or initiatives to positively affect pending legislation or rule making by local, state or federal agencies such as CalFIre, CalTrans, USFS, Park Service. Active in the utility arborist association to influence standards across the industry and may lead large statewide efforts on behalf of PG&E to resolve issues and conflicts or to educate other parties.
- Coaches Program Managers and outside contractors participating in regulatory and/or industry forums, public hearings and/or legal proceedings. May provide expert witness testimony in high profile legal cases involving vegetation issues.
- Oversees and reviews the development of new or revised scopes of work and project management for outside contractors such as foresters and land planners to ensure compliance standards and deliverables are established.
- Reviews budget forecasts and business cases for new, non-routine work related to special initiatives such as public safety, reliability, reclamation or timber harvest plans, and submits to Manager for approval.
- Supervises staff to accomplish results through effective recruitment and selection, training and development, performance management, and rewards and recognition.
- Bachelor’s degree in job-related discipline or equivalent experience.
- California Driver’s License
- 4 years of job-related experience with at least 2 years’ experience in a leadership role, as a team leader or project leader
- ISA Arborist/Utility Specialist certification
- PMP Certification
- ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ)
- RPF Registered Professional Forester
- 7 years of related experience with at least 5 years in a leadership role, as a team leader or project leader
- Strong knowledge of forestry and/or utility vegetation management concepts, methods and techniques.
- Broad knowledge of current utility and energy industry, economic and social & political issues, trends and business drivers.
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills.
- Adaptability to work within a heavily regulated environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills to communicate findings and recommendations to various levels of management.
- Influence and negotiation skills, tact and diplomacy and political acumen to navigate sensitive customer/public issues.
- Good independent organizational, time management, prioritization and planning skills.
- Thorough knowledge of project and program management concepts, methods and techniques. Ability to lead complex projects across the line of business.
- Strong business and data analysis knowledge, process improvement skills and creative thinking to create compelling business cases based on complex business environments and inputs.
- Competent with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PowerBI etc.) and GIS applications.