Electric Distribution Operations Engineer (ESC) - RocklinI'm Interested Date posted 10/15/2020
Requisition ID # 65822
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : Rocklin
The Distribution Operations Engineering group is responsible for providing support to PG&E’s Electric Distribution Control Centers. PG&E has over 3,200 distribution feeders, 1,200 distribution substation banks, and 275 distribution substations serving over 5 million customers in northern and central California. The distribution system is very diverse with 4 KV, 12 KV, 17KV, 21 KV, and 34 KV distribution voltages and is predominantly a radial system, with a network serving parts of the San Francisco financial district and downtown Oakland. The PG&E service territory stretches over 74,000 square miles.
This job is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
This position will report out of the Northern Electric Distribution Control Center in Rocklin which provides distribution system operations and control for the northern California cities in the PG&E system.
- Provide distribution facility clearance review/analysis/ and switching plan development.
- Perform N-1 distribution load at risk analysis and prepare management communications.
- Monitor/review bank & circuit peak loads and take actions to address overloads.
- Monitor/review bank & circuit real time power factor and take actions to address poor power factor.
- Validate inoperable critical operating equipment and determine its disposition.
- Develop critical operating equipment control device settings.
- Provide day-day engineering support for distribution line, substation related operational problems, as well as any transmission line problems that result in operational problems on the distribution system.
- Update load flow models when permanent switching, system re-configuration, and new devices are installed.
- Provide engineering support for system emergencies during normal and after-hours (includes an on-call requirement).
- Prepare substation bank and feeder loss studies as required.
- Provide distribution operations engineering review and recommendations for substation bank/equipment replacement projects.
- Provide distribution operations engineering support of power quality and voltage related issues.
- Assist in providing reviews to support the management of distribution system integrity and configuration.
- Perform detailed technical analysis and design for the interconnection of temporary primary generation for planned and emergency needs.
- Provide other reliability, protection/coordination related studies as requested.
- Provide operations engineering support and participate in various emerging grid technology projects (VVO, PV-Smart Inverter, DERM’s, Smart Line Sensors).
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an institution accredited by the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- 30 months of cumulative experience in engineering and design
- Current California PE license
- Proficiency with MS Office products including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Ability to work in a team environment and support fellow team members and internal and external customers, contractors and vendors
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Electric utility distribution engineering or protection related work experience