Electric Distribution Operations Engineering Intern
Requisition ID # 145798
Job Category: Administrative / Clerical
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Rocklin
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. We deliver some of the nation’s cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy.
The Electric Distribution Operations Engineering team ensures safe, reliable, and efficient operation of the distribution system by providing technical support, real-time engineering, maintenance guidance, switching support, asset management, restoration support, and emergency response to the distribution control centers.
The Electric Distribution Operations Engineering (DOE) team is looking for an intern to support critical data and operational needs of the distribution control center (DCC) related to ADMS deployment, maintenance, and strategy. This individual will be provided solo tasks often but must also be able to work in a team environment and support fellow team members. Routine tasks may include/support:
- Migrating asset and settings data into distribution engineering systems of record
- Monitoring, analyzing, and resolving SCADA nuisance alarms
- Recognizing patterns of data inconsistencies and establishing reconciliation strategies
- Evaluating FLISR and SCADA alarm limits
- Converting substation source and transformer bank impedances
- Verifying and/or updating electrical properties of ADMS asset catalogs
- Investigating missing or inaccurate GIS modeling
- Identifying and directing ADMS substation modeling discrepancies
- Calculating and converting power flow values (amps, volts, watts, VARs, PF, etc.)
- Researching engineering data requests
- Creating scripts/queries for batch data analysis
PG&E is providing the hourly rate range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual hourly rate paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity. Although we estimate the successful candidate hired into this role will be placed towards the middle or entry point of the range, the decision will be made on a case-by-case basis related to these factors.
The hourly rate for this position ranges from $18.43 to $29.81
- In pursuance of a Bachelor’s or Master’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (students MUST be continuing education towards degree during and/or after internship)
- Degree concentration or taken coursework in power systems engineering
- 3.0 GPA or greater
- Proficient with Microsoft apps (Outlook, Teams, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and online document sharing
- Proficient with graphic editing tools
- Familiarity with python and SQL coding
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong technical writing and communication (oral and written)
PG&E is unable to provide VISA sponsorship to students on an F-1, J-1 or other student visa for this position. Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce.