Electric Distribution Operations Engineering Intern
Requisition ID # 145797
Job Category: Administrative / Clerical
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: Rocklin
Based in San Francisco, Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E Corporation (NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas and electric utilities in the United States. We deliver some of the nation’s cleanest energy to our customers in Northern and Central California. We know that the nearly 16 million people who do business with our company count on our more than 24,000 employees for far more than the delivery of utility services. They, along with every citizen of the state we call home, also expect PG&E to help improve their quality of life, the economic vitality of their communities, and the prospect for a better future fueled by clean, safe, reliable, and affordable energy.
The Electric Distribution Operations team ensures the safe, reliable, and efficient operation of the electric distribution system by providing innovative engineering and technical support associated with operational needs, design, construction, and maintenance functions. Distribution Operations has overall responsibility for the clearances, emergency conditions, temporary generation, and equipment failure replacement. We work to ensure capacities, voltage, power factor, and the reliability of the primary electric distribution systems during the day to day operations is met.
The Electric Distribution Operations team is looking for an intern to support the critical electric distribution operations engineering functions that PG&E performs every day. Routine tasks that the intern may support include:
- Validate failed equipment and ensure the corrective measures are correct.
- Monitoring area substation and circuit capabilities and track corresponding loads.
- Performing planning studies to correctly model the electric distribution systems.
- Preparing and initiating switching plans to alleviate normal and minimize emergency deficiencies for clearance and emergency work.
- Preparing settings for protection, power factor equipment, and voltage regulation equipment.
PG&E is providing the hourly rate range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual hourly rate paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, and internal equity. Although we estimate the successful candidate hired into this role will be placed towards the middle or entry point of the range, the decision will be made on a case-by-case basis related to these factors.
The hourly rate for this position ranges from $18.43 to $35.10
- Earning a Bachelor’s or Master’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering (students MUST be continuing education towards degree during and/or after internship)
- 3.0 GPA or greater in both cumulative GPA and major GPA
- Planning on pursuing a concentration or has taken coursework in power systems engineering
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- Ability to work in a team environment and support fellow team members
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
PG&E is unable to provide VISA sponsorship to students on an F-1, J-1 or other student visa for this position. Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce.