Senior Environmental Scientist- ESC-Sacramento
Requisition ID # 81856
Job Category : Environmental Management / Safety
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Shared Services
Environmental Management, Standards and Programs Group is committed to full
environmental compliance and establishing our position as an environmental leader to support the companies' vision to become the leading utility in the United States. We are undertaking numerous initiatives to put our environmental values to work - while at the same time delighting our customers, energizing our employees and rewarding our shareholders.
This is an ESC represented exempt classification currently subject to collective bargaining. This senior level position provides technical support and programmatic management for a wide range of Water Quality compliance programs.
This is a Senior-level Environmental Scientist position that involves technical and programmatic support for water quality permitting and construction stormwater BMP and stabilization management on numerous,fastpacedprojects. The position is expected to use independent judgment; enhanced verbal and written communication skills, and successful candidate must have the ability to work with minimal supervision. The Senior-Level Environmental Scientistpossesses an intermediate-level knowledge and understanding of local standards, ordinances, state, and federal laws that pertain to water resources and can demonstrate successful management of multiple small to moderate sized projects and activities. In this role, people and other resources are managed indirectly as part of a project team. The position requires a working knowledge of industry practices, standards, and equipment; Responsibilities may include Privileged and Confidential issues, managing multiple contracts, large-scale project management efforts, and emergency response work. Assignments typically require standard solutions and practices but may include an increased level of innovation on a periodic basis. Under limited general direction, independently plans work to meet assigned objectives; progress is reviewed periodically for technical accuracy and adequacy in process and upon completion. This position may include performing field work during inclement weather, as well as travel with occasional overnight stays to perform technical work at company projects throughout the PG&E service territory.
Additional responsibilities include:
Safety: Completing all required safety training; Promoting safety awareness; Conducting work in accordance with all safety procedures.
Program/Project Management: Effectively structure and control program/project work; integrate all aspects, ensure that work progresses on schedule and that work meets specification or required standards. Recognize established timelines and budget constraints when planning work efforts and scheduling resources. Monitor timelines, milestones, and resource usage (actual vs. plan); address scope changes by adjusting work efforts and plans. Ensure that supervisor and LOB clients are notified of any deviations to cost, deliverables, or schedule commitments, and establish regular checkpoint controls for timeliness and accuracy of deliverables. Oversee contractor work and function as single point of contact for business partners, agencies, and contractors as required.
Consulting/Expertise: Participate in continuous learning opportunities to enhance technical and operational expertise (e.g., attending conferences, partnering with field operations, providing vacation relief, completing additional education, etc.). Monitor professional and technical advancements and adjust techniques to incorporate best practices with management input and guidance. Develop and deliver high-quality training and training materials in responsible areas of knowledge. Develop, write, revise, and improve procedures and processes to implement regulatory requirements.
Compliance/Regulatory Support: Monitor changes to existing and pending laws and regulations, by using on-line tools and communications from government, agencies, and industry associations.
Apply principles and processes of laws, rules, regulations, and codes; identify and resolve compliance issues. Communicate potential impacts (financial and operational), of pending regulation to affected LOBs, through SH&E leadership team. Respond to information requests from LOB clients, industry associations, and public agencies. Input and maintain all compliance commitments in assigned database with appropriate task notifications and escalations. Ensure compliance through record-keeping and accurate and concise documentation. Lead efforts to identify and resolve compliance issues; implement corrective actions or preventive controls for cross-functional LOB issues. Ensure timely completion of required environmental training and all assignments. Lead root cause analyses or process improvement initiatives to improve compliance. Prepare and/or confirm accuracy of technical data.
Financial Management: Monitor assigned project and program budgets, ensuring contractor invoices, are timely, within approved contract limits, and do not exceed approved budget for the work. Process invoices in accordance with all applicable Accounts Payable guidelines. Provide accurate forecasts for assigned projects and programs in a timely manner; supervisor informed well in advance if costs may exceed or significantly under run budget. Meet with stakeholders and client groups to review costs for assigned projects and programs, address questions and resolve issues.
Quality Assurance: Organize multiple assignments, sometimes of a complex nature or involving competing priorities, to produce work products that are accurate, thorough, and on time. Collect and analyze operational/field data using risk analysis to determine degree of potential operational or economic impact and/or risk to PG&E and make recommendations to address such impacts. Coordinate data collection from various internal and external sources, review data for accuracy, and revise as needed.
Ensure that work procedures are well-developed, documented and issued in a timely manner, roles and responsibilities are clearly defined and understood, training is developed and implemented, communication plans are followed through and validated, and measures and controls are established.
Interaction: External interaction primarily includes directing project-related work and contract administration with contractors and vendors; also includes providing information, leading discussions, and obtaining approvals from regulatory agencies. Internal contacts with Line of Business partners, colleagues, and the Environmental Management team. Tasks include directing project-related work, discussing and reporting progress, exchanging and coordinating information, managing meetings and providing appropriate documentation.
- 8 years of cumulative experience in a relevant environmental field, construction stormwater water quality management, NPDES implementation.
- Bachelor’s degree in an environmental discipline, sciences, or engineering
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license or ability to obtain by first day of employment
- Master’s degree in environmentaldiscipline, sciences, engineering or MBA
- Extensive knowledge of NPDES permitting and compliance
- OLLUTANT DISCHARGE ELIMINATION SYSTEM (NPDES) GENERAL PERMIT FOR STORM WATER DISCHARGES ASSOCIATED WITH CONSTRUCTION AND LAND DISTURBANCE ACTIVITIES
- Experience with implementation of Forest Practice Rules
- Program management training (e.g., Project Management Professional (PMP) certification)
- Qualified Stormwater Practitioner (QSP) orQualified Stormwater Developer (QSD) certification
- Experience permittingwater dischargeswith CaliforniaRegional Water Boards and/or Publicly Operated Treatment Works (POTWs)
- ISO 14001 management systems training
- Six Sigma and/or Lean training
- Knowledge of job functions and proficiency in applying project and program management principals
- Working knowledge of industry practices, standards, and equipment
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement all aspects of multiple assigned projects and ability to use independent judgement
- Use independent judgment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of environmental principles, regulations, and data collection techniques
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of and share the most current information, techniques, practices, laws, and regulations of the job or occupational field.
- Possess familiarity with the business, its environment, and key issues and trends including emerging best practices and technology; familiar with industry language and terminology.