Supervisor, Elec. Distribution Planning (Sacramento)
Requisition ID # 131661
Job Category: Engineering / Science
Job Level: Supervisor
Business Unit: Electric Engineering
Job Location: Sacramento
The team of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of clean, safe, reliable, and affordable energy to nearly 16 million people in Northern and Central California. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
Electric Distribution Planning Leadership is responsible for planning, organizing, and managing the implementation of PG&E's distribution capacity and reliability strategies, programs, and initiatives. Incumbents oversee engineers who develop and implement PG&E's distribution planning strategy and improvement initiatives. This includes program management activities for capital work associated with substation and line capacity projects for the distribution system. The leadership works with key department personnel, senior management, engineering teams, business partners and others to successfully implement the company's investment strategies and initiatives. Incumbents are responsible for actively supporting a safe work environment.
- Provides clear direction to Distribution Engineers and other departments in the areas of capacity, reliability, operations, and customer issues. Ensures that projects are appropriately justified. May participate in area specific or system-wide initiatives as an independent contributor engineer in addition to leadership responsibilities.
- Ensures system capability meets demand. Ensures area load forecasts and proposed capacity additions are accurate, economical, and timely. Monitors, forecasts, and stays within allocated division distribution capacity budget.
- Ensures the distribution system performance meets reliability targets and that outages are analyzed for cause, trends, & duration.
- Ensures the system is designed to be efficiently operated. Assists Distribution Operations Engineering group in the development of contingency plans for loss of major distribution facilities. Works closely with estimating to ensure primary system is designed to current standards.
- May be responsible for distributed generation studies and related activities.
- Supervises staff to accomplish results through effective recruitment and selection, training and development, performance management, rewards and recognition.
- Manages Union employees. May manage professional employees.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent related experience.
- 5 years of experience as an Electric Distribution Engineer or equivalent, including, but not limited to, distribution capacity planning, forecasting distribution peak demand, distribution reliability engineering, distribution system design or operations.
- Travel approximately 10% with occasional overnight stays.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering with a focus in Power Systems.
- Professional Engineering License.
- Electrical Engineering knowledge with a focus in Power Systems.
- Knowledge of transmission engineering or operations, substation engineering, transmission or distribution protection, distribution operations.
- Knowledge of applicable engineering principles, codes, regulations, policies, and procedure’s related to the industry and PG&E.