Associate Transmission Planning Engineer (ESC) - San Francisco
Requisition ID # 86183
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
The Transmission System Planning (TSP) department performs Interconnection studies, multi-year assessments and develops a portfolio of transmission expansion plans and projects to meet the company's transmission needs for delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers while adhering to North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) planning standards. The members of TSP actively participate in the NERC and WECC standard development process for electric transmission reliability. The department is also involved in developing transmission expansion policy and strategy to meet the Company's RPS goals. In addition, the department provides support to project implementation groups, operations, law, contract and other internal departments.
This entry-level position is represented by the Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) subject collective bargaining.
The Associate Transmission Planning Engineer works under the general technical direction of more experience engineers and supervisor. This position is responsible for providing technical, planning and project implementation support for transmission, substation, and distribution systems. The responsibility level of this position increases with experience and demonstrated ability
- Support the development and coordination of the basecase creation process, including schedule and deliverables.
- Support the coordination and review of data from internal and external stakeholders to ensure accurate basecases.
- Review area and system load data to support the development of load forecast.
- Support the development of basecase assumptions and transmission system steady-state and dynamic models.
- Develop PG&E area and WECC system basecases as required by transmission planning studies.
- Provide support for generator testing and model development.
- Develop tools and processes to support transmission planning and project implementation functions.
Transmission System Studies
- Perform transmission planning studies related to compliance, annual transmission system assessment, all phases of load or generation interconnection, reliability, inter and intra-regional studies, or any other studies to support obligations to internal PG&E departments and external entities.
- Coordinate engineering requirements for generation, load interconnection, capacity, reliability, economic, and policy projects.
- Analyze reliability indices such as SAIDI, SAIFI and other indicators to propose reliability improvement projects.
- Support development of Annual Transmission Planning Assessment and Expansion Plan.
- Develop and submit new project proposals through the CAISO’s Request Window in order to obtain approval.
- Prepare presentations, reports or other materials essential for communication of work to internal and/or external stakeholders. Effectively present technical material to stakeholders as required.
- As required, actively participate in initiatives, studies or industry forums that could impact the PG&E transmission system and support the inclusion of PG&E’s interests.
- Under close supervision represent PG&E transmission planning at internal and external meetings and provide technical guidance on transmission planning issues.
- Provide responsive input and support to other departments on transmission matters.
- Participate in project implementation activities to ensure timely implementation of projects and system asset strategies.
- Participate as transmission planner in multi-department project team to develop and approve project scope for electric transmission projects.
- Prepare project approval documents for management approval.
- Perform analysis to support project need and recommendation.
- Manage and track implementation of projects and provide updates as required.
- Upon completion of projects support all necessary communications and documentations of final ratings and model are completed.
- Participate in short and long-term strategy and capital investment planning activities.
- Participate in establishing project implementation scope, schedule, and budget
Compliance and Regulatory
- Under supervision interface and work with external regulatory agencies.
- Support in preparation of need portion of filings with regulatory agencies on transmission projects as necessary.
- Support PG&E’s regulatory filings to various regulatory and data requests including FERC’s Transmission Owner (TO) rate case and CPUC’s General Rate Case (GRC).
- Support FERC/NERC/WECC/CAISO compliance requirements such as F1004 forms, RIMS, FNM, and FAC, TPL, NUC, and MOD reliability standards and criterion.
- Support annual Gap Analysis for FERC/NERC compliance.
- Support compliance and regulatory audits as necessary.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US.
- License/Certifications: Engineer In Training (EIT) certificate
- one year of experience in engineering, planning and/or