Capital Recovery Financial Analyst, Sr.I'm Interested Date posted 12/05/2020
Requisition ID # 74216
Job Category : Accounting / Finance
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Finance
Job Location : San Francisco
PG&E’s Capital Recovery and Analysis team in the Controller’s department is a key provider of financial analysis and support for the company’s capital forecasts and budgets, as well as filings and analysis that supports the company’s regulatory rate cases. The department is responsible for forecasting capital related items for the company’s $90 billion in plant assets.
This is your opportunity to join our team in an industry that is rapidly changing. You will have the opportunity to participate in developing and implementing processes and tools related to budget and financial forecasts, analyzing business results and advising partners on business/operating impacts. The team also provides testimony and supporting analysis for rate case filings and recommendations on regulatory strategy and processes, all of which contribute directly to determining the company’s revenues.
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated Senior Financial Analyst to join our team. This is an excellent opportunity to showcase your analytical skills and work in a high profile department where you can make a contribution and be recognized. Your daily responsibilities may include:
- working with various departments and levels of management on forecasting and budgeting;
- preparing, reviewing and researching regulatory decisions and filings
- preparing and presenting variance analysis to management;
- forecasting capital revenue requirements and analyzing data for regulatory filings; strategizing the best ways to balance recovery of costs and provide rate stability to customers; and visiting plant sites to document and present data on plant assets and processes.
We support many organizations throughout the company and this unique opportunity provides you with exposure to key stakeholders in the company and learning about various lines of business.
Regulatory Strategy and Analysis
- Uses or enhances existing financial models and/or develops new models in Excel and/or Access for analysis and/or reporting.
- Prepares forecasts, data requests, and workpapers for plant, depreciation and ratebase as part of filings to the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for the General Rate Case (GRC), Gas Transmission and Storage (GT&S), Transmission Owner (TO) rate cases, and other capital-related rate case filings.
- Researches, interprets, and analyzes regulatory decisions, regulatory accounting, cost recovery proposals, revenue requirement impacts, and other analysis in support of regulatory proceedings.
- Prepares analysis for rate case witnesses for plant, depreciation, and rate base to support testimony in regulatory proceedings.
- May write memos or testimony on cost recovery issues.
- Comfortable researching and analyzing issues when information is ambiguous or incomplete.
- Enhance controls over financial models
- Identify capital accounting issues and communicate issues effectively across teams
Financial Planning, Forecasting, and Analysis
- Prepare accurate and timely budget, forecasts and analysis for capital-related items, including plant, CWIP, depreciation, AFUDC, decommissioning, and rate base.
- Establishes, builds, and maintains relationships with key business partners. Engages with business partners (i.e. business finance; lines of businesses; accounting; tax; enterprise financial forecasting; and planning, forecasting, and reporting) to ensure consistency and accuracy of accounting data, regulatory decisions, and assumptions of forecasts as part of regulatory filings and financial forecasts.
- Provide recommendations to manager and director with supporting analysis.
- Prepare monthly capital analysis package.
- May lead/manage cross-functional projects and initiatives
Process and Systems Improvement
- Identifies opportunities for continuous improvement, promotes a “best practices” environment.
- Leads efforts to promote efficiency within existing processes in areas of responsibility
- Contributes to the department and company projects initiatives to improve processes and understands / translates financial impacts.
- Shares knowledge with team members through thorough documentation, presentations at team meetings, and training.
- 4+ years of experience in finance or accounting
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business, or equivalent work experience
- Advanced Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Access proficiency
- Capital accounting and/or utility industry experience
- SAP, BPC, BW and/or Power Plant experience
- MBA or other advanced finance/business/accounting degree
- Professional license, such as CPA or CMA