Director, Meter to Cash SystemsI'm Interested Date posted 01/08/2021
Requisition ID # 74883
Job Category : Information Technology
Job Level : Director/Chief
Business Unit: Information Technology
Job Location : San Francisco
Pacific Gas and Electric Company (Utility) is a public utility operating in northern and central California. The Utility engages in the businesses of electricity and natural gas distribution; electricity generation, procurement, and transmission; and natural gas procurement, transportation, and storage. The Utility served approximately 5.1 million electricity distribution customers with 141,215 circuit miles of distribution lines, 18,616 circuit miles of interconnected transmission lines and approximately 4.3 million natural gas distribution customers with 42,141 miles distribution pipelines, 6,438 miles of transmission pipelines.
There are approximately 22,000 employees who carry out the Utility’s primary business—the transmission and delivery of energy. The company provides electricity and gas to approximately 15 million people throughout a 70,000-square mile service area in northern and central California. The Service area stretches from Eureka in the north to Bakersfield in the south, and from the Pacific Ocean in the west to the Sierra Nevada in the east. PG&E’s gas business consists of 2,900 employees throughout the territory that sit within three functional areas.
PG&E has a culture of commitment to its core value of public and employee safety, and to its other core values of open communication, operational excellence, accountability, teamwork, diversity and inclusion. PG&E expects that all of its leaders conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity, and get the job done each day consistent with its values.
The IT Business Technology (IT BT) organization is a key line of business within the IT organization. We are a customer-centric organization that serves as the primary interface between IT and the rest of the company. We are an organization of over 500 team members strong focused on delivering outstanding IT products and services. Our team collaboratively partner with all PG&E’s lines of business focusing on developing the necessary innovation, agility, and efficiency to ensure the enablement of core PG&E business of delivering safe, reliable, and affordable gas and electricity to our customers.
Our major organizational scopes are: Business Engagement, Technology Strategy and Planning, Project Delivery, and Operational Excellence. We effectively deliver on our organizational scope through: Business Acumen and Industry Experience, Integrated Planning, Org Development, Resource Management, and Financial Management.
The Director, Meter to Cash (MTC) IT Systems has accountability for IT strategy and planning, development, delivery and support for all applications on MTC systems (i.e., CC&B, ABS, Payments, Credit, Billing, Customer System Interfaces etc.) within the PG&E Customer Care business. The Director manages a team responsible for IT solution strategy and planning, business architecture, requirements definition and management, project management, application development, testing/quality assurance, production and support. The Director builds and maintains relationships with Business Unit partners for business requirements, issues resolution and sustained overall customer satisfaction. This position reports into the Senior Director of Business Technology.
- Provides leadership for the design, development, deployment and support of MTC solutions required for PG&E Customer Care to achieve its objectives.
- Acts as a liaison between the IT organization, business partners and other stakeholders
- Aligns and manages the execution of a technology roadmap(s).
- Conducts analysis of asset deployment, use and acquisition, and disposal of non-performing assets.
- Evaluates and assesses risk as part of the lifecycle analysis of portfolio components.
- Defines or refines metrics that will demonstrate the positive impact of IT portfolio management on the business.
- Recommends and implements plans to optimize IT Investment which may include reducing and containing IT costs and enhancing business capabilities to increase customer satisfaction.
- Identifies opportunities to make IT and business processes more effective and efficient. Manages the implementation of improvement initiatives.
- Ensures compliance to PG&E standards/regulations and governance processes.
- Directs teams of technical, professional and management staff in the successful fulfillment of IT development and service delivery commitments.
- Establishes individual and organizational objectives that are aligned with organization goals. Implements PG&E practices for staffing, EEO, diversity, performance management, development, reward and recognition, and retention.
- Ensures staff has the resources and skills needed to support all work initiatives.
- Partners with IT and business leadership and other key stakeholders to define opportunities and prioritize projects based on predefined criteria (return on investment, productivity, compliance).
- Ensures service level agreements are met or exceeded.
- Regularly briefs senior IT and business management on portfolio performances.
- Obtains approval from business partners on IT strategy and plan for MTC Systems supporting the PG&E Customer Care business.
- Provides strategy, planning and leadership for the design, development, deployment and support of MTC System solutions required for PG&E Customer Care to achieve its objectives.
- Provides knowledge of industry trends and technology as it relates to specific opportunities where technology can enhance the value to the Customer Care business.
- Identifies and presents opportunities to senior IT and business management for applying developments in technology to the challenges faced by the business.
- Assists the CIO and senior IT and business management in developing, executing and communicating the IT-business vision, mission and goals.
- Strategic Thinking: Applies external and internal factors to strategy development. Considers long term strategic impact when making decisions or setting direction. Ensures short-term goals support long-term strategy.
- Systems Thinking: Understands the broader impact of work efforts across architectural system components, critical business processes and applications.
- Risk Management: Assesses, prioritizes, monitors and addresses challenges that present risk to the business and its reputation.
- Change Management: Serves as a change agent by promoting stakeholder acceptance of change, managing stakeholder expectations, and advancing new initiatives.
- Empowering Others:Supports individuals to take appropriate accountability for their work.
- Customer Relationship:Maintains clear communication with business partners regarding mutual expectations.
PG&E expects its leaders to conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity. This is central to the Company’s Values and Competencies.
In addition, we expect that our leaders know their job is to make others successful. As such, we take particular care in making sure that our Company leaders embody the following qualities:
- Safety Champion- in words and deeds with respect to both employee and public safety.
- A trust builder- A respected, credible and sincere leader.
- Authentic and highly transparent-
- Open and communicative- Someone who creates understanding, speaks and writes well and with authority, prioritizes messages, is not defensive and is open to feedback.
- Egoless in their style- Someone who puts PG&E first and the interests of the broader team ahead of their own.
- Collaborative- Someone who builds relationships, works across groups, brings people together and breaks down barriers to success.
- A team and career builder- Someone focused on coaching, mentoring and developing others with diverse backgrounds and ideas. Someone skillful at building teams, aligning people and attracting top talent.
- Has sound business judgment- Someone with a strong desire to do what’s right for the organization.
- A strategic thinker- One who can create a vision and lead initiatives to successful outcomes.
- Accountable- Someone who leads through actions, words and beliefs to help make PG&E a utility leader. Someone who understands that leadership comes from performance not from “positional power.”
- Results oriented- Willing to set aggressive, but realistic goals and to hold others accountable for their performance.
- M.S. or M.B.A. in business administration or computer science preferred; a minimum of B.A./B.S. or relevant work experience in information technology, business administration or other relevant field required.
- Ten (10) years of experience in progressively responsible information technology positions including management of large projects/teams.
- Knowledge of Meter to Cash systems desired.
- Deep knowledge of business/industry.
- Excellent analytical and technical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate complex business requirements into IT solutions.
- Ability to estimate the financial impact of IT decisions
- Ability to manage change
- Ability to foster a work environment in which individuals collaborate in pursuit of a common mission and mutual goals required.
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.