Electric Distribution Engineer, Associate
Requisition ID # 144467
Job Category: Engineering / Science
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Engineering
Work Type: Hybrid
Job Location: San Francisco
Electric Asset Management (EAM) Distribution Planning (DP) team ensures safe, reliable and efficient operation of the electric distribution system by providing timely and innovative engineering and technical support associated with the planning, design, construction and maintenance functions. EAM DP is part of the EAM System Planning and Reliability group and has overall responsibility for the utilization of area and equipment capacity, voltage and power factor support and the reliability of the primary electric distribution systems.
This entry-level job is represented by Engineers and Scientists of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
This position is hybrid, working from your remote office and your assigned work location 3 days per week (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays). The assigned work location will be within the PG&E Service Territory.
PG&E is providing the salary range that the company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at the time of the job posting. This compensation range is specific to the locality of the job. The actual salary paid to an individual will be based on multiple factors, including, but not limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications, experience, market value, geographic location, collective bargaining agreements, and internal equity.
The annual salary range is:
- Submits long term and short-term reconstruction, capacity and reliability plan recommendations; manages projects within their local area of $100,000 or less; and reviews and recommends job estimates within DPA for capacity and reliability.
- Monitors area substation and circuit capabilities and track corresponding loads. Prepares proposals, including justification, for appropriate corrective actions to address deficiencies found.
- Performs planning studies to correctly model the electric distribution system and works with Mapping to ensure discrepancies are corrected in associated records system. Analyzes historical loads and project future growth. Prepares long term and short-term plans to identify and correct area deficiencies. Prepares long term and short-term plans to identify and correct area deficiencies. Prepares draft Preliminary Planning Reviews (PPR’s). Identifies alternatives to address deficiencies for Project Analysis (PA’s). Reviews and analyzes area distribution systems and takes appropriate actions to maintain power factor and primary voltage within established standards. Determines circuit and associated equipment capabilities within the assigned DPA.
- Prepares and initiate switching plans to alleviate normal and minimize emergency deficiencies. Prepares necessary documentation about distribution needs for estimating to complete job packages. Prepares settings for load tap changers and other line equipment. Reviews requests for new large customer load additions or increases in voltage and recommend actions to correct any deficiencies. Provides direction and reviews primary designs proposed by estimating to ensure adequate capacity and reliability. Prepares settings for distribution protective devices. Performs circuit protection reviews and makes recommendations for corrections. Determines protection requirements for rule 20, WRO projects and other major distribution projects which could impact the existing protective scheme. Prepares settings for Distribution Automation (DA) devices affecting distribution protection, voltage or emergency switching.
- Initiates service dependability solutions and actively participates in local reliability / root cause meetings. Works closely with construction to prioritize outage prevention work within DPA, addresses customer complaints (Help Tickets) for recurring outages as assigned. Prepares initial responses for CPUC complaints for recurring outages. Supports local DO’s, DEC, construction, or storm room in emergency restoration efforts as required. Provide technical, address’ customer voltage complaints caused by primary voltage problems. When requested, address’ customer EMF requests involving distribution facilities as assigned, assist E&M and OM&C personnel to address customer voltage complaints caused by secondary voltage problems. Supports estimating, construction, and other departments as required. Reviews, modifies, and recommends switching clearances for feeders, banks and stations as requested by DO’s. Address’ customer EMF requests involving distribution facilities as assigned. Reviews switching arrangements, equipment settings, voltage levels, power factor needs, etc. to ensure the distribution system is operated in the most efficient manner.
- Prepare EASOP (economic analysis) for projects in DPA. Prepare other engineering analysis as assigned. Provide supervisor on-call support as required; maintain equipment records as assigned.
- Holds a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) OR will graduate with a BSEE by June 2023 from a college/university accredited by Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET
- Professional engineering registration
- Basic Microsoft Office skills
- CYME experience
- Python Scripting experience