Power Generation Asset Strategy Analyst, Expert - San FranciscoI'm Interested Date posted 01/06/2021
Requisition ID # 76984
Job Category : Accounting / Finance
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Generation
Job Location : San Francisco
Power Generation maintains and operates PG&E's hydroelectric, fossil and renewable generation facilities, providing more than 4,000 megawatts of generating capacity for our customers. We are an organization of nearly 800 men and women dedicated to deliver safe, reliable and cost effective generation to California in an environmentally responsible manner. As an integral and active member of the company team, Power Generation contributes to PG&E's goal of becoming the leading utility in the United States.
The Expert Asset Strategy Analyst will play a key role in development of the Power Generation long-term investment plan and supporting the regulatory function of the team as well as assisting with the tracking and analysis of key performance indicators, economic modeling and analysis. This position will report to the Manager, Power Generation Investment and Regulatory Planning.
Bachelor’s (BA/BS) degree in Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, or equivalent experience.
Seven (7) years of experience in electric utility operations, engineering, finance, maintenance, project management, or related field.
Licensed Professional Engineer (PE)
MBA or Masters of economics, finance, engineering, business or similar field
Experience with hydroelectric and fossil technologies and infrastructure
Utility ratemaking experience
ChEA-Chartered Economic Analyst certification
AAFM-American Academy of Financial Management Certification
Job-related experience, 8 years
Competency in adapting approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations
Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local regulations and laws – for example FERC, NERC, CAISO, CPUC - as needed to perform at the job level
Competency in applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization goals
Competency in building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
Competency in developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
Competency in consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
Competency in making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems
Competency in handling conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise
Knowledge of RCA-Root Cause Analysis theories, concepts, methods, best practices, and techniques as needed to perform at the job level
Key Performance Indicators (Primary Focus Area)
- Tracks and provides forecasts for Power Generation reliability and cost metrics.
- Performs quality control and interacts with other team members regarding the quality of the recorded data used in the calculation of reliability and cost metrics.
- Provides variance explanations to explain differences between actual and forecast performance.
- Performs benchmarking activities to compare PG&E performance to other utilities.
Long Term Investment Plan (May be called upon to help support this area)
- Assists in the management of the overall quality and completeness of Power Generation's long-term investment plan.
- Ensures that planned work is properly prioritized and consistent with strategic planning investment strategies & goals and ensures that data entries are complete, accurate, and updated in a timely manner as plans change.
- Helps improve Long Term Planning processes to assure facility, outage, and resource optimization; assures quality scoping and phasing of projects is being achieved; and assures integration of condition assessment, risk assessment, and economic evaluation processes.
- Attends prioritization meetings and work closely with field and GO business planners on LTP issues.
- Provides PG leadership with system-wide summaries of work and expenditure forecasts from the LTP.
Regulatory Support (May be called upon to help support this area)
- Drafts General Rate Case testimony, ERRA testimony, and testimony supporting applications for new generation development.
- Develops documentation such as workpapers to support testimony.
- Responds to discovery requests from intervenors.
- Drafts and reviews resource planning and economic portions of FERC Relicensing Applications.
Economic Modeling and Analysis (May be called upon to help support this area)
- Provides the analytical foundation for long term financial and performance goal-setting.
- Performs project-specific life-cycle economic and hydraulic/hydrologic analyses (using Excel-based models), to support decision-making on relicensing negotiations, potential divestiture & decommissioning studies, potential new generation facilities, and specific project economic and financial feasibility for multi-million dollar investments.
- Provides generation resource Cost-of-Production assessments and comparisons to market benchmarks, and supports implementation of cost control strategies for less-economic units.
- Prepares high quality analyses to support decision-making by Power Generation leadership.
- Updates & maintains Excel-based economic models and power values.
- Prepares special planning, economic and engineering studies and reports, as needed.