Principal Product Owner
Requisition ID # 81113
Job Category : Information Technology
Job Level : Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Information Technology
PG&E’s Information Technology (IT) organization is comprised of various departments which collaborate effectively in order to deliver high quality technology solutions.
The IT Data and Analytics (D&A) organization is charged with unlocking the value of PG&E’s data to support the company’s most pressing data needs. As part of that focus, we are responsible for deploying and realizing the value from PG&E’s new enterprise data management platform, Palantir Foundry. We do this via our focus on data platform operations, product delivery, data governance, and data product strategy. We passionately use data & analytics to create novel ways to solve business problems and are at the forefront of using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to do so. Since 2019, D&A efforts have focused on improving public safety with an emphasis on wildfire risk reduction. Going forward, we’ll be focusing our efforts to create value for all of PG&E, delivering near-term value on the most important enterprise needs, while establishing a data management platform that will enable transformational change and make PG&E run more like a digital-native company. We aim to enable citizen developers and data analysts across the enterprise to create value form data we curate and publish, letting the benefit of our work scale to thousands of data users.
A critical part of how we operate is to apply design thinking, DevOps, Agile, and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) principles and methodologies. Through these principles, D&A forms cross-functional product teams to deliver valued data products to our business partners.
We are seeking a Product Manager to lead product strategy development to drive transformational change. D&A is in the first year of scaling a new enterprise data management platform across PG&E. Year one has been focused on Electric Operations, particularly delivering game-changing data products that have significantly reduced wildfire risk. As we move into year two, we are growing and broadening our sights to the enterprise and serving the needs of all PG&E lines of business. Over the next five years we’ll invest $200M - $300M into this platform. This Principal Product Manager will be a key leader in D&A’s expansion beyond the recent Electric Operations and wildfire risk mitigation focus.
D&A has been building data products using Agile and Scrum principles since 2017. In 2020, D&A adopted the SAFe operating model. The Product Manager is responsible for collaborating with people and thought leaders in the business to develop data product technology strategy that solves meaningful business problems, while also enabling wholesale change in how data users interact with data. Our vision is that the data management platform becomes the first place that people come to answer questions with data. We’ll no longer share spreadsheets via email or SharePoint. We’ll behave more like a digital native company with sophisticated data and analytics capabilities and culture.
In the SAFe operating model, the Product Manager leads intake, and develops a product strategy and roadmap that is then delivered by a Product Owner and a product team. The Product Manager will collaborate with approximately 2-4 Product Owners, depending on the complexity of the products. The Product Manager will not just focus on intake, but on value creation during delivery, and update product investment plans as hypotheses are tested and actual value becomes known. The Product Manager’s leadership is needed to determine when to stop investment in a particular product and move on to the next product opportunity.
- Collaborate with business leaders and thought leaders. Understand business problems and jobs to be done. Teach the art of the possible. Develop product strategies that create transformational benefits. Flex between engaging with Executives and front-line individual contributors.
- Drive an understanding of how products create value for the business, focusing on the key results and outcomes that can be delivered by data products. Use this knowledge for product strategy to tie clearly to business outcomes.
- Develop product strategies that clearly state value hypotheses, and mitigate feasibility, viability, and desirability risk as quickly as possible.
- Turn product strategy into investment proposals and business cases to secure funding.
- Work with Product Owners and delivery leadership to develop product roadmaps and define features. The roadmap and feature definition must set up Product Owners and product teams for success in quarterly Program Increment (PI) Planning, and allow business stakeholders to understand how continued investments will enable specific outcomes and associated value.
- Use a solid understanding of value creation and costs to champion bringing an economic view to product strategy and investment decisions.
- Act as a member of the D&A extended leadership team to influence and lead aspects of department culture, strategy, planning, operations, and staffing.
- Work with the D&A extended leadership team to align on how to staff product teams for success.
- High School or GED-General Educational Development-GED Diploma
- 7 years of related experience
- Successfully shipped product from discovery to delivery for B2B or B2C products or services
- Experience as a Product Owner/Manager of an agile development team
- Relevant product experience in an enterprise environment
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in related field or equivalent work experience
- 5 years as a Product Owner or Product Manager in an Agile environment
- Product Owner, Scrum Master, or other Agile / SAFe certification
- Humble – is open to being coached, has high EQ and is self-aware
- Hungry – desires to get things done while honoring people, and seeks better ways to do the job
- Collaborative – has strong interpersonal skills; cares about and works well with teammates
- Willingness to impact beyond defined role
- Experience with data, analytics, or AI/ML centric product development
- Experience applying design thinking to discover and understand problems
- MBA or Masters degree in a relevant field
- Experience building data literacy in teams and organizations
What you will get
- The opportunity to work on some of the most interesting, complex, real world data problems that will make a difference for PG&E, PG&E’s customers, and the Utility industry as a whole
- The opportunity to contribute to a best in class digital organization that ships real products to real users
- Extreme management support for your development and your day to day success
- Autonomy to make decisions in a rapidly growing team
- Best in class perks and benefits