Principal Renewable Natural Gas Structured Energy Transactions Analyst (Oakland, CA)
Requisition ID # 135212
Job Category: Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level: Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Energy Policy & Procurement
Job Location: Oakland
The Core Gas Supply Department (CGS) procures and manages natural gas supplies (including Renewable Natural Gas), transportation and storage for Pacific Gas and Electric Company's Core (residential and small commercial) customers. CGS strives to deliver reliable gas supplies while minimizing costs to our customers. Our performance is measured through the Core Procurement Incentive Mechanism (CPIM) incentive ratemaking program which compares actual portfolio costs against a set of independent industry benchmarks. CGS is an exciting and fast-paced organization that offers many learning opportunities through exposure to the regulatory approval process, asset acquisition, trading, portfolio planning and analytics, risk and compliance, and reporting. Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) is a new addition to our portfolio.
As a key contributor to the RNG Structured Energy Transactions team, this individual will conduct procurement solicitations, lead the development of policy strategy/implementation for key commercial topics, negotiate commercial terms and conditions of RNG supply contracts, and contribute to other areas of the Company's RNG procurement efforts. This role will work closely with other teams including Energy Contract Management and Settlements, Law, Market and Credit Risk Management, Energy Compliance and Reporting, and Regulatory Affairs. Success in this position requires the ability to motivate and influence the work of others and requires working across teams within the Energy Policy and Procurement organization and throughout the Company.
- Originate highly structured RNG purchase agreements by leading complex competitive solicitations, including solicitations for new and innovative product offerings. This requires (1) ensuring successful solicitation design, launch, and management of the solicitation process; and, (2) an understanding of portfolio needs, product-related compliance requirements, and PG&E’s CPUC-approved Renewable Gas Procurement Plan.
- Develop, execute, and lead negotiations for RNG supply contracts.
- Manage various aspects of the RNG competitive solicitation process, including the development of the process (requires coordination with various stakeholders), implementation of systems and procedures, management of internal coordination and governance, coordination of external outreach to key stakeholders and market participants (solicitation materials, webinars, etc.), and the preparation of regulatory filings and internal/external reports.
- Evaluate highly structured RNG procurement contract language and synthesize and communicate relevant deal points to senior management.
- Evaluate offers resulting from solicitations and bilateral negotiations, including the development of high-level offer evaluation criteria, lead counter-offer preparation, prepare analysis of offers, and manage overall negotiation process.
- Acts as a thought leader in the development of RNG procurement strategy and policy. Lead resolution of complex issues.
- Prepare applications/filings, testimony, forecasting materials, exhibits, models, work papers, or discovery for RNG procurement issues.
- Prepare strategy papers, deliver presentations to external stakeholders/regulators, and serve as expert witness for PG&E at CPUC, CEC or FERC.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders and regulatory agencies.
- Represents PG&E on external speaking engagements.
Bachelor’s Degree with coursework in a business- related field, mathematics, engineering, or equivalent field of study; or equivalent experience
Minimum of eight years of utility or relevant industry experience, with a strong preference for experience in natural gas or renewable natural gas
- Master’s degree
- 10 years of energy industry experience, including wholesale supply side, development side, or strategy/policy side of the energy industry
- Strong written communication skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including the ability to present highly complex data and findings to diverse audiences
- Ability to influence key decision makers
- Skill in negotiating with stakeholders to reach an agreement
- Demonstrated experience of successfully working with cross functional teams
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously to meet deadlines in a time-sensitive environment
- Demonstrated project management skills, strong organizational skills and ability to manage major cross-functional projects and initiatives
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight
- Ability to lead and to develop new procurement products and contracts
- Competency in planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- Ability to analyze complex problems and recommend solutions despite incomplete information and limited time
- Ability to maintain a work environment that fosters teamwork, information and experience sharing, constructive communication and professional and individual development
- Natural gas or electric portfolio experience
- Knowledge of the RNG market and supporting technologies
- Knowledge of the Company’s RNG procurement needs, the Company’s competitive position in the market, and the rules and regulations that govern RNG procurement
- Ability to lead Company development activities and represent PG&E in discussions on RNG procurement issues
- Understanding of the meaning of and rationale for PG&E’s contract provisions, typical counterparty concerns, and the impact of specific contract language