Senior Data Scientist
Requisition ID # 78990
Job Category : Accounting / Finance
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Information Technology
PG&E’s Information Technology (IT) organization is comprised of various unified departments which collaborate effectively in order to deliver high quality technology solutions.
The IT Data and Analytics (D&A) organization is focused on unlocking the value of PG&E’s data to support the company’s most pressing data needs. We passionately use data & analytics to create novel ways to solve business problems and are at the forefront of using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to do so. Since 2019, D&A efforts have focused on improving public safety with an emphasis on wildfire risk reduction. Going forward, we are focusing our efforts to create value for all of PG&E, delivering transformational change for PG&E to run as a digital-native company.
We are seeking a Senior Data Scientist to join an established data science team within the Data & Analytics organization contributing to the company’s key initiatives of wildfire risk reduction and asset management. In this role you will build data science models, end to end, from user discovery through data cleaning, feature engineering, model training and validation, stakeholder presentations, visualizations and deployment. The team’s objectives contribute to:
- Preventing wildfires by predicting asset health.
- Informing inspection and capital investment programs.
- Informing Public Safety Power Shutoffs.
- Supporting data-driven decisions for multiple lines of business.
The team you will be joining operates under the Scaled Agile Framework, applying lean-agile principles to the data science methodology. In this role you will work with other data scientists, software and data engineers, product management and business partners. A strong candidate will be able to collaborate with multiple stakeholders to deliver data science models to support critical business processes.
You are excited about this role because you:
- Break down nebulous problems into workable chunks.
- Synthesize complex information into clear business insights.
- Translate technical insights into actions.
- Collaborate closely with field engineers, domain experts, and business owners in building models.
- Are a good listener and anticipate your stakeholders’ needs.
- Are humble and self-aware.
- Are tenacious in chasing down data and solutions while honoring people.
- Are curious about approaching problems from different perspectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Engineering, Statistics, Applied Sciences or Social Sciences or job-related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Job-related experience, 5 years, OR Master’s Degree and job-related experience, 3 years, OR Doctorate.
- Experience with the entire data science lifecycle, including data engineering, feature engineering, model building and evaluation, model deployment.
- Knowledge of the mathematical and statistical fields that underpin data science.
- Code comfortably in Python and SQL.
- Experience building multiple regression and machine learning models.
- Experience working with highly imbalanced datasets.
- Are familiar with Bayesian models, Markov Chains, or Monte Carlo.
- Ability to identify and characterize problems and implement appropriate solutions on your own initiative.
- Ability to think critically and communicate effectively about the model reflecting the problem you are trying to solve.
- Knowledge of systems thinking and decomposition of complex problems.
- Experience working on an agile delivery team, using methods such as Scrum, Kanban.
You will love working on the PG&E Data & Analytics team because we:
- Are a group of people who are bright, kind, and care deeply about one another.
- Bring our whole, authentic selves here and encourage you to do the same.
- Embrace diversity of backgrounds, skills, and thought in tackling and adapting to our climate change challenges.
- Take our goal of preventing wildfires very seriously. We don’t take ourselves too seriously.
- Proactively do what needs to be done to move the work forward regardless of our titles.
- Do not shy away from seemingly intractable challenges.
- Believe in a growth mindset where failures usually are necessary for success.
- Share in failures and successes, equally, as a team.
- Have smart and empathic leadership who care about their employees and are open to new ideas.
- Encourage agency in making decisions and doing the right thing.
- Are proud to say we work on preventing wildfires in California.
- Offer competitive compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.