Senior IT Business Analyst
Requisition ID # 122931
Job Category : Information Technology
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Information Technology
PG&E’s Information Technology (IT) organization is comprised of various unified departments which collaborate effectively in order to deliver high quality technology solutions.
The IT Data Analytics & Insights (DA&I) organization is focused on unlocking the value of PG&E’s data to support the company’s most pressing data needs. As part of that focus, we are responsible for deploying and realizing the value from PG&E’s new enterprise data management platform. We do this via our focus on data platform operations, product delivery, data governance, and data product strategy. We passionately use data & analytics to create novel ways to solve business problems and are at the forefront of using Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning to do so. Since 2019, DA&I efforts have focused on improving public safety with an emphasis on wildfire risk reduction. Going forward, we’ll be focusing our efforts to create value for all of PG&E, delivering near-term value on the most important enterprise needs, while establishing a data management platform that will enable transformational change and make PG&E run more like a digital-native company.
A critical part of how we operate is to apply design thinking, DevOps, Agile, and Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) principles and methodologies. Through these principles, we work as cross-functional teams to help deliver valued data products to our business partners.
We are seeking a Business Analyst to join DA&I Business Operations, growing this team from one full-time person to two. Business Operations plays a key role in the success of D&A’s data platform and product delivery by focusing on five areas:
- Ensuring the sound financial management of the platform and product investments. This includes ensuring that financial policies (e.g., capital accounting guidance) are consistently followed, and that product teams are consistently generating the best possible cost forecasts with the knowledge they have at the time.
- Leading D&A efforts to effectively engage with procurement processes and associated governance.
- Building reports and driving leadership awareness of key departmental operating metrics.
- Leading special projects in DA&I.
- Playing a leading role in managing D&A’s information so that the organization can grow and scale safely.
Business Operations collaborates with DA&I leadership, product leadership (e.g., Product Managers, Product Owners), technical leadership, and Agile leadership (Agile Coaches, Release Train Engineer, Scrum Masters). A strong candidate will be able to collaborate with multiple stakeholders in DA&I, effectively prioritizing work to balance delivering both tactical needs while ensuring strategic goals are achieved.
- Support Product Managers and Product Owners with financial analysis informing product investment strategy.
- Work with Product Managers, Product Owners, and Tech Leadership to develop detailed product investment and project cost forecasts. Analyze actuals to understand variance and drive continuous improvement in cost forecasting.
- Collaborate with Product Managers and Product Owners to develop capital release plans based on roadmap and capitalization criteria. Recommend order structure to balance needs of multiple stakeholders (Capital Accounting, Business Finance, DA&I leadership, Product Management).
- Work with the Office of the Chief Information Officer, DA&I Tech Leadership and Product Management ensure IT governance and guidance established for waterfall project delivery is appropriately applied to Agile software delivery in a way that understands and mitigates risk, while channeling the Agile manifesto principle of valuing working software over comprehensive documentation.
- Provide support for overall team hiring and contract processes. Work with preferred vendors to fill resource request needs for product teams by sharing resource needs details and coordinating with hiring managers and teams to review resumes, scheduling interviews, and reviewing SOW prior to execution. Coordinate onboarding details with hiring managers once candidates have been identified. Collaborate with leadership to drive development and execution of contracts consistent with IT contracting strategy and PG&E contract governance processes.
- Work with managers and supervisors to ensure that invoices and goods receipts are submitted in a timely manner. Review fixed fee scope to ensure deliverables have been completed and approved by product managers/owners. Validate invoiced hours and PG&E hours are accurate.
- Support DA&I leadership by project managing key department initiatives (e.g., Requests for Proposal, development and launch of new department standards and processes)
- Dive into portfolio processes to understand what areas can be improved and champion the changes needed in order to ensure we’re performing at an optimal level to provide the best support for product teams.
- BA/BS in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business, Engineering, etc. or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in business operations, portfolio management, project management, program management, business analysis, and/or other related areas. Can have less experience in case of an advanced degree.
- Participation in projects of medium to high complexity.
- Familiarity with the corresponding Line of Business-related functions.
Desired Education / Skills:
- Excellent analytical and technical skills
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Proficient with MS Office Suite applications
- Familiarity with Agile software delivery methods and working with Scrum teams
- Strong analytical skills in the technology domain and a high level of drive, initiative and assertiveness
- Knowledge of data management principles, data acquisition and modeling, data warehousing, business intelligence, metadata management, data security
- Ability to effectively navigate complex organizational, process, technical and political challenges
- Humble – is open to being coached, has high emotional intelligence, and is self-aware
- Hungry – desires to get things done while honoring people, and seeks better ways to do the job
- Experience with software development methodologies and software engineering principles, with an emphasis on data related development techniques
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience analyzing financial data from source Financial System, e.g., SAP
- Experience with Goods Receipts
- Understanding of utility capital accounting guidance and practices for software delivery. Specific knowledge of practices for Agile preferred over waterfall.
What you will get
- The opportunity to work on some of the most interesting, complex, real world data problems that will make a difference for PG&E, PG&E’s customers, and the Utility industry as a whole
- The opportunity to contribute to a best in class digital organization that ships real products to real users
- Extreme management support for your development and your day to day success
- Autonomy to make decisions in a rapidly growing team
- Best in class perks and benefits