Senior IT Planning Analyst
Requisition ID # 116363
Job Category : Accounting / Finance
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Information Technology
Job Location : San Francisco
The Office of the CIO (OCIO) represents the cross-functional IT Management capabilities that enable running the business of IT. The OCIO focuses on supporting IT's operation model by ensuring a consistent, transparent and efficient approach to the way the IT organization delivers value to its partners. The core of the OCIO consists of four areas essential to the long-term success of IT: Contract Management, Culture, Program Management Office and Investment Management.
The IT Planning Analyst, Senior will plan and forecast budgets, control those budgets, provide operational analysis and strategic planning analysis, along with developing metrics for the department. The IT Planning Analyst job family provides planning, product, business, and operations management analysis and support in the following areas: planning, research support, data analysis and reporting, resource management, process governance, budgetary requirements and spend, in support of business decision making, strategy, and operations. This position provides input, support, and analysis to general IT business processes, assists in the development of a prioritized budget for the IT organization and works with other financial or data personnel to ensure accurate and timely operations, budget, and/or project management. Senior Planning Analyst may also be involved in business process improvement, quality control, special projects, and other initiatives. All employees are responsible for performing their jobs in accordance with PG&E's vision and values.
The work location is flexible and can be located in San Francisco, San Ramon, Concord, or Santa Rosa, however, training will occur in San Francisco for the first few months of the position.
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging company data to derive insights that will drive business decisions and operational efficiencies.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Produce insightful reports that can be shared with and actioned by Senior Leadership.
- Conceptualize and build centralized tools (including dashboards) that the Solutions Delivery and broader teams can use to extract data/insights for daily business management in an automated manner.
- Assist with the daily operations and provide general IT business & planning support.
- Prepare reports through gathering, analyzing and summarizing data and information; prepares presentation materials for management reports.
- Build predictive models that will better detect anomalies, estimate accruals, and resolve financial imbalances.
- Assist in the initiation, conducting and coordinating studies and analysis on IT operations, resource allocation, financial reviews; and analyzing programs to ensure that program goals and work plans are on target.
- Participates and assists in the preparation of the annual business plans for the assigned IT functional area, and coordinates contract or resource management efforts including making recommendations based on analysis work.
- Maintain annual capital and expense budgets utilizing proper accounting/budgeting controls, enter financial data into tracking system, and compile regular and ad-hoc financial status reports.
- Implement cost allocation program and respond to questions and concerns from the business areas. Review contract invoices, identify disparities, and resolve issues with the vendors.
- Serve as a resource to project managers to educate and assist with project management processes.
- Ensures project control systems are in place and integrates project data for decision makers
- Provide labor forecasts, projects, initiatives, demand and capacity analyses.
- Collaborate with program/project managers in the development of program/project management documentation, business cases, cost planning, reports, work plans, and performance metrics.
- Record and monitor project issues, risks and change requests.
- Record and monitor project action logs and decision logs.
- Update and analyze project data and performance metrics; prepare and maintain complex presentations and spreadsheets for analysis and recommendations.
- Research and compile information for project teams.
- Bachelor of Arts / Science in accounting, business, finance, similar field OR equivalent work experience
- 4 years of general business experience
- Advanced understanding of financial systems and reporting tools
- Strong knowledge of business and financial planning, professional concepts as they apply to the IT organization
- Experience with budgeting process
- Strong organizational business understanding
- Advanced Microsoft Suite knowledge in Excel, Project, Access Word; able to create pivot tables
- Advanced business analysis research and problem-solving skills.
- Ensures approvals in accordance with Delegation of Authority, process and tools (i.e., SRM, EDRS, Project Portfolio Management
- Work independently on small to medium projects as a project team member or occasionally as a leader
- Five or more years related budget, financial and program systems and processes experience desirable
- Experience with at least one of the BI Tools: Webi reporting, Power BI, Tableau, SAS(Basic)
- Database knowledge: Oracle, SQL Server
- Solid Microsoft Suite knowledge in Project, Access, PowerPoint, Visio, and Word
- Tools: SMC Remedy, JIRA, PPMC
- Understands how to execute, build, and get things done with limited resources
- Experience managing large scale project implementations
- Six Sigma, CPSM, or related certificate
- Solid problem-solving skills (i.e., exercises independent judgment and discretion to perform assigned tasks from low to average complexity using established procedures, standards, and guidelines)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills, detail oriented and self-directed
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills