Senior Manager, Distribution Asset Planning North - Flexible LocationI'm Interested Date posted 01/13/2021
Requisition ID # 76940
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Senior Manager
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : San Francisco
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
This position leads a team of Asset Planning employees responsible for developing PG&E's electric distribution capacity and reliability strategic plans, while supporting the initiation of a large portion of capital investments. The team provide system level engineering for all capacity, reliability, distribution line hardening, new business and other related capital improvements. Asset Planning partners with internal PG&E departments and cross-functional teams to establish the safest, most reliable, and cost-effective electric distribution infrastructure system while regularly communicating with internal and external stakeholders, utility regulators, and customers to advance PG&E's objectives.
This position location is flexible to within the Bay Area.
- Oversees the strategic development and planning of electric distribution capacity, reliability, distributed generation, and electric reliability management by providing clear leadership and direction for system design and capital program investments. Directs the overall management of scope, schedule and cost. Holds managers and supervisors accountable from a planning and engineering standpoint; works to remove obstacles for the teams by building relationships across the organization with stakeholders and other departments. Identifies gaps in existing processes and drives process improvements.
- Develops short- and long-term reliability and capacity strategy for inclusion in the GRC, including: a) Distribution system impacts from vehicle and building electrification; b) Distribution system impacts from new types of load such as indoor cultivation; c) Distribution system impacts from integration of Distribution Electric Resources (DER) such as Solar, Energy Efficiency, Battery Storage, and Demand Response; d) Oversight of annual Distribution Planning Study processes that result in publicly available reports such as the annual Grid Needs Assessment report and Distribution Deferral Opportunity report used by DER developers and other interested parties; e) Selection of candidate capacity projects for third-party DER deferral as part of the annual Distribution Investment Deferral Framework request for offer.
- Leads management team to accomplish results through effective recruitment and selection, training and development, performance management and rewards and recognition.
- Leads the development and management of department budgets, regularly monitoring both capital and expense expenditures against forecast, providing explanation or justification for budget items and/or variances.
- Leads the development, communications, and reporting of key department capacity and reliability metrics to aid in strategic goal setting, work progression, and achieving corporate goals. Responds to officer inquiries regarding system performance analytics and performance forecasting.
- Acts as a key participant in the high-level planning processes by providing subject matter expertise and technical information relating distribution capital content to general rate cases, annual work plan process, and other strategic initiatives.
- Supports Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency situations such as PSPS events, major storms, heat waves, and other major emergencies.
- Responsible for team tasked with maintenance of existing planning tools such as CYME, LoadSEER and Powerbase, training a diverse group of Distribution Engineers on planning tools, streamlining and automation of existing tools, contract approval for planning tools, and interface with IT and DBOPS for maintenance and upgrade support.
- Manages, professionals and bargaining unit employees.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent related experience
- 8 years of relevant experience with distribution reliability, networks, asset strategy and development and distribution automation.
- Masters Degree in Business Administration or job-related discipline or equivalent experience
- Job-related experience, 15 years
- PE-Professional Engineer license