Senior Structured Energy Transactions & Solicitations Analyst (Oakland, CA)
Requisition ID # 134003
Job Category: Business Operations / Strategy
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Energy Policy & Procurement
Job Location: Oakland
The Energy Policy and Procurement (EPP) organization procures energy-related products and manages PG&E’s policy activities for energy proceedings, actively participating in regulatory and legislative proceedings that shape the design and implementation of state, regional, and federal energy regulations and policy. In addition, EPP is responsible for long-term planning, risk management, and compliance functions related to PG&E’s energy portfolio.
The Structured Energy Transactions (SET) Department is responsible for structuring, negotiating, and managing the procurement and the solicitation processes for PG&E’s wholesale electric portfolio structured energy transactions. SET is responsible for an extraordinary range of agreements- from procuring for storage, solar, biomass, geothermal, wind, and more and must execute these duties in a way that is fair to the market and protects our customer’s interests. We are executing the transactions to help the state meet its reliability, greenhouse, and other policy goals. To do this, SET must have a deep understanding of our policy and procurement landscape, implement rigorous processes to run solicitations, learn the marketplace, and dive deeply into quantitative and contract details to achieve commercial excellence.
The Energy Transactions & Solicitations team is responsible for procuring the Company’s wholesale power purchase contracts through competitive solicitations or mandated programs. The team manages procurement of renewable energy and energy storage resources, which includes, but is not limited, to procurement for the following PG&E programs: Distribution Investment Deferral Framework (DIDF), Disadvantaged Communities ("DAC"), Green Tariff Shared Renewables(GTSR) – Solar Choice and Regional Renewable Choice, System Reliability, Bioenergy Market Adjusting Tariff (BioMAT), Renewable Market Adjusting Tariff (ReMAT), Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act (PURPA), Energy Storage, Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS), RPS Energy (REC) Sales, Voluntary Allocation and Market Offer (VAMO), Mid-term Reliability procurement, IRP-related procurement, etc. Additionally, this team leads on the development of PG&E’s Renewables Portfolio Standard (RPS) procurement/sales strategy.
As a key contributor to the Energy Transactions & Solicitations team, this individual will administer various procurement solicitations, negotiate commercial terms and conditions of energy contracts, and contribute in other areas of PG&E's structured energy procurement efforts. This person will bring a passion for commercial excellence and customer service to help PG&E transact across energy products. This role may be responsible for leading various commercial activities to procure renewable energy, distributed resources, or storage capacity for example. This role will work closely with other teams including Energy Settlements and Contract Management (back office), Short Term Electric Transactions (front office), Portfolio Management, Law, Risk, and Regulatory Affairs. Success in this position will require the ability to motivate and influence the work of others and working across teams within the Energy Policy and Procurement organization, and throughout the company.
- Originates highly structured long-term power purchase and sales agreement by leading the execution of the most complex solicitations including solicitations for new and innovative product offerings.
- Negotiates of terms and conditions of power purchase or power sale agreements.
- Drafts strategy papers and PRG presentations, drafts testimony, and supports requests from the Independent Evaluator.
- Builds and manages relationships with new and existing entities in the market area of focus.
- Evaluates offers resulting from solicitations and bilateral negotiations, leads counter-offer preparation, prepares analysis of offers, and manages overall procurement Acts as a significant contributor in the development of strategy or resolution of complex issues.
- Participates in identification, development, implementation, and resolution of issues associated with complex, cross-functional strategy and policy matters.
- Bachelor’s Degree with coursework in a business- related field, mathematics, engineering, or equivalent field of study; or equivalent experience
- Job-related experience, 3 years
- Master’s degree
- Two years of work experience in the wholesale supply side, development side, or strategy/policy side of the energy industry
- Knowledge of the procurement needs for the Company’s wholesale energy portfolio, the impacts of procurements, the company’s competitive position, and the rules and regulations that impact procurement
- Understanding of meaning and rationale of PG&E contract provisions; typical counterparty concerns; and the impacts of contract language
- Ability to lead negotiations and to develop new procurement products and contract documents
- Ability to present moderately complex data and findings to diverse audiences; to lead Company development activities and to represent Structured Energy Transactions in discussions of electric procurement issues
- Knowledge of organizational structures, decision making and governance procedures regarding commercial procurement
- Ability to influence key decision makers
- Ability to manage projects and initiatives
- Ability to analyze complex problems and recommend solutions despite incomplete information and limited time
- Ability to maintain a work environment that fosters teamwork, information and experience sharing, constructive communication and professional and individual development
- Demonstrated focus on quality, efficiency, and continuous improvement.
- Excellent communication skills – interpersonal, written and presentation, including experience and ability to deliver executive level briefings – taking complex concepts and describing them thoroughly and succinctly.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment, be self-motivated, and be detail oriented.