Director, Nuclear Engineering
Requisition ID # 79780
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Director/Chief
Business Unit: Generation
Generation provides safe, reliable, affordable, and environmentally-sound energy to our customers by effectively managing PG&E’s portfolio of generating assets.The Diablo Canyon Power Plant (DCPP) safely and reliably produces electricity that is environmentally responsible and cost effective for our customers and shareholders. DCPP’s mission is to be the leading nuclear power plant in the country and:
- Inspire and positively influence the industry through our safe, reliable, and excellent operational performance through the end of plant licensed operation.
- Embrace new ideas to continuously improve our plant and our work environment.
- Proactively learn from ourselves and others.
- Enrich our communities and the environment, increasing the public’s trust and confidence in nuclear power.
Responsible for leadership and management of Diablo Canyon Engineering Services at Diablo Canyon Power Plant and reports to the Sr. Director of Engineering, Technical, and Emergency Services. Develops processes and programs to improve long term equipment performance, and ensure tools and processes are in place to effectively manage engineering workload. Director of Engineering has responsibility for the planning and execution of all engineering and project activities during on-line, forced outages, refuel outages and unplanned power reductions to ensure the safe, reliable and economic operation of the two units at Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Generating Station; which generate 29% of PG&E's owned generation.
The Director of Engineering oversees the performance and development of approximately 200 professional and hourly staff personnel.
- Leads and Manges the Engineering Department in support of and accountable to the Generation Operating Plan and its associated goals.
- Administers and oversees all programs and processes in support of Engineering Services including budget and cost monitoring, recruitment and staffing, work control, projects, outage planning and performance improvement/corrective actions.
- Develops and implements strategies to lead DCPP Nuclear Power Plant’s Engineering Services’ organization to industry-leading performance.
- Directs, develops, mentors, and coaches Managers, Nuclear Engineering.
- Ensures department proactively addresses safety resulting in zero recordable and disabling injuries.
- Provides leadership and management to Engineering Services’ extended leadership team to achieve consistently high standards and levels of performance.
- Provides oversight of key performance indicators to ensure business plan objectives are met.
- Provides strategic leadership and management to Engineering Services, including management of complex expense and capital budgets and overseeing the performance and development of the Engineering Services’ professional and hourly staff personnel.
- An integral member of the DCPP Senior Leadership Team to work across department lines to support station needs and the continual pursuit of excellence.
- Additional focus on People given the short remaining license duration of DCPP in support of maintaining excellence in performance and personnel engagement.
PG&E expects its leaders to conduct themselves with the highest ethics and integrity and to embody specific leadership qualities.
- Seeing ahead to future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies.
- Operating effectively, even when things are not certain, or the way forward is not clear.
A Leader in the Community and Industry
- Effectively building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization.
- Anticipating and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
Demonstrates Safety Leadership
- A safety champion in words and deeds with respect to both employee and public safety.
- Maintaining an environment of open dialog and free of retaliation.
Influences and Inspires
- Using various- communications that convey a clear understanding of the needs of different audiences.
- Maneuvering comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related dynamics.
Optimizes Team Performance
- Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals.
- Creating a climate where people are developed and motivated to do their best to help the organization.
Values Diversity and Creates Inclusion
- Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Interpreting and applying an understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions.
- Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
Leads Ethically and in a Compliant Manner
- Sponsoring and sustaining a high integrity speak-up corporate culture which prioritizes ethics, safety, and compliance.
- Building on the necessary level of industry, company, and subject-matter expertise, including laws and regulations.
Provides a High Level of Customer Service
- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Bachelors Degree in Engineering or job-related discipline or equivalent experience
- 10 years of Utility experience
- Power plant experience, 6 years
- Nuclear power plant experience, 3 years
- Demonstrated experience building and sustaining a healthy safety culture where employees feel encouraged and supported to bring up safety concerns
- PE-Professional Engineer license
- Senior Reactor Operator license