Senior Reactor Operator, Avila Beach, CA
Requisition ID # 137739
Job Category: Nuclear Generation
Job Level: Supervisor
Business Unit: Generation
Job Location: San Luis Obispo
Diablo Canyon Power Plant (DCPP) safely and reliably produces electricity that is environmentally responsible and cost effective for our customers and shareholders. DCPP's mission is to be the leading nuclear power plant in the country and to: Inspire and positively influence the industry through our safe, reliable, and excellent operational performance. Embrace new ideas to continuously improve our plant and our work environment. Proactively learn from ourselves and others. Enrich our communities and the environment, increasing the public's trust and confidence in nuclear power.
The Senior Reactor Operator (SRO) will serve as a Shift Foreman in the Operations department. The Operations department is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of DCPP Units 1 and 2.
You will be responsible for the safe and reliable operation of the DCPP Units 1 and 2 with emphasis on safety and adherence to established regulations and standards of performance.
The SRO license program will be approximately 8 months in order to obtain a Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) SRO license. You must be able to travel at least 10% of the time.
To obtain and maintain unescorted access at DCPP and employment in this position, you must be able to pass a drug and alcohol screen, a security background check, psychological screening, computer-based training, fitness test and medical exam as required by the NRC, the SRO license exam, and be subject to random drug and alcohol screening.
While attending SRO license class:
-Study for and take SRO program and license exams
After passing SRO license exam:
-SRO with line authority over the shift operators for one of two nuclear units
-Analyze complex plant activities and evolutions to provide proper operations focus and ensure error-free performance
-Ensure all operating records are maintained to preserve documentation of operations activities and responses to any unusual conditions in accordance with Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) specifications.
-Coordinate and control maintenance and testing activities
-Ensure completion of scheduled activities.
-Support refueling activities
-Maintain and improve Human Performance
-Obtain additional qualifications
-Maintain all required qualifications
High school diploma or equivalent and one or more of the following:
- One or more years as an active Reactor Operator (RO) at the site or a commercial power facility of the same Westinghouse vintage
- One and a half years as an active Reactor Operator at a comparable (BWR/PWR) facility or at a non-comparable commercial power reactor facility
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering, engineering technology, or related sciences OR a professional engineering license with:
1) 18 months as a Power Plant Staff manager, supervisor or staff member responsible for the coordination and implementation of plant equipment controls, integrated operations procedures, operations, maintenance, engineering, radiological support, modifications, maintenance planning, work control, chemistry, or accredited training at the current or a comparable pressurized water reactor (PWR) facility
2) 27 months (@ 1.5:1 basis) of similar experience at a boiling water reactor facility.
- Two or more years in a position equivalent to a Reactor Operator position at a military reactor (Reactor Operator; Engineering Officer of the Watch; Propulsion Plant Watch Officer; Engineering Watch Supervisor; Propulsion Plant Watch Supervisor)
- Combination of greater than four years SRO level certified instructor:
1) at Diablo Canyon Power Plant or a commercial power facility of the same Westinghouse vintage (@ 1:1 basis)
2) at a comparable (PWR) facility or a non-comparable commercial power reactor (@ 1.5:1 basis). The candidate has successfully completed the same training as a licensed SRO, including generic fundamentals and has been certified at an equivalent SRO level by a utility or NSSS vendor training program.
-One or more years as an active Reactor Operator (RO) at DCPP
-Previously held an RO or SRO license at DCPP within the past 20 months
-BS degree or equivalent in engineering, engineering technology, or related sciences
-Previous nuclear plant operational experience
-Obtained a commercial PWR NRC GFES Docket Number
-Currently or previously Senior Reactor Operator (SRO) or Reactor Operator (RO) license at a commercial pressurized water reactor facility