Compliance Specialist, System Protection - Principal (Location Flexible)
Requisition ID # 125280
Job Category: Maintenance / Construction / Operations; Compliance / Risk / Quality Assurance; Engineering / Science; Project / Program Management
Job Level: Manager/Principal
Business Unit: Electric Engineering
Job Location: San Ramon
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
The System Protection Compliance team is a central point of support to System Protection, System Automation, & Substation Test for asset management and compliance, driving best practices and consistency.
The System Protection department is responsible for oversight of protection and control systems installed over a large geographic area of California, and owned by PG&E. The responsibilities include managing all aspects of 35,000 relays of various vintages including but not limited to asset planning, work scheduling, compliance, and application support. The protection systems are also very diverse and include legacy systems installed more than 50 years ago and new integrated systems utilizing the newest relays of the latest technology and the latest relay communication techniques. The responsibilities include renewable generation interconnections for one of the fastest growing sectors in North America.
PG&E is geographically located in a strategic area of California and WECC and has an extensive 500kV network that provides stability to the California and Western Interconnection. For this reason and many more it is important to maintain a highly skilled staff to provide oversight of the protection systems in PG&E.
The System Protection Compliance Team works on asset management, compliance and maintenance processes and procedures. This includes maintaining asset data, test records, risk assessment, analysis, compliance reporting, and program metrics. This position supports the development and implementation of PG&E's internal compliance framework for various standards.
The incumbent’s primary role is to apply protection subject matter expertise to conduct business with applicable laws, regulations, internal and external standards and guidelines. This includes maintaining a clear understanding of which regulatory standards and requirements must be complied with, and ensures that work processes incorporate best practices, standards, guidelines, and other controls. This position works closely with System Protection Engineering, Substation Test, Asset Strategy, Grid Operations, IT, Business Applications Development, and Transmission Compliance to support compliance-related reviews, lead business area teams on compliance projects, and may conduct root cause evaluations as needed in order to ensure controls are in effect for compliance and other System Protection processes and practices.
The Protection Compliance Specialist duties include:
- Evidence collection from various system monitoring and asset inventory systems
- Analyzing and processing evidence to verify compliance
- Posting compliance evidence and results of evidence analysis
- Updating ECAP, ECTS and other reporting tools with the latest status based on results of evidence review
- Responds to vulnerability assessments, review and close out of assigned items
- Completion of scheduled review of ECTS evidence and provide signoff to further reviewers and approvers
- Validation of asset and system inventory as new equipment or systems are added
- Review upcoming regulatory standards and advise for upcoming requirements
- Participates in reviewing and updating processes and procedures related to compliance
- Identifies control gaps in processes or projects.
- Provides guidance on the development of tools and processes that help the department efficiently and effectively manage compliance requirements.
- Utilizes multiple internal record repository tool(s) to store, track, update and enhance as needed.
- Coordinate the alignment of company standards with external regulatory requirements.
- Prepare System Protection and Substation Test teams for protection audits
- Works closely with business partners to train, equip and structure the organization for new compliance standards.
- Benchmarking with peer utilities and industry organizations as needed.
Travel is approximately 25-50% with occasional overnight stays.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Technology, or commensurate experience in system protection or test department.
- Job-related experience, 10 years
- Experience as Project Manager, complex, high-risk
- Experience in compliance, job-related, 4 years
- Leadership experience
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local regulations and laws -for example FERC, NERC, CAISO.
- Competency in consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Ability to analyze data from several sources and identify, articulate, and present the business impact.
- Ability to understand, interpret and communicate standards, policies, and guidelines.
- Executive presentation skills; ability to communicate (oral and written) recommendations and findings to leaders and officers.
- Competency in knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Products - for example Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access - as needed to perform at the job level.
- Skill in facilitating discussions and meetings as needed to perform at the job level.
- Competency in making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Knowledge of database structure and ability to support design enhancements
- Knowledge of NERC CIP and PRC standards
- Desired experience as in a Substation Electric Utility Environment with 6 or more years of experience in calibrating, installing, and in-service testing of relay systems.
- Qualified Electrical Worker, Electrical Technician certification, HFACS associate certificate, PMP, Lean Six Sigma, EIT and P.E.
- Advanced knowledge of System Protection processes and procedures, work activities, and roles and relationship between, System Protection, Test, and Compliance groups.
- CISSP-Certified Information Systems Security Professional certification
- PMI-Project Management Institute PMP-Project Management Professional certification
- NERC-North American Electric Reliability Corporation System Operator certification