Corrosion Engineer- Flexible Location
Requisition ID # 86322
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Gas Operations
GasOperationsis focusedon ensuringthe safe and reliable flowof naturalgasto our customers. As a whole, GasOperationsis responsible forallaspectsof PG&E's gasdistributionandtransmissionoperations,includingplanning,engineering, maintenance and construction, restoration and emergency response.
The Corrosion Field Support group is part of Corrosion Services within the Asset and Risk
Management organization and responsible for providing technical field support to the maintenance and operations departments who operate PG&E's natural gas transmission and distribution pipeline systems. Corrosion Field Support oversees the investigation and mitigation of issues dealing with internal corrosion, external corrosion, alternating current interference, direct current interference, pipeline coating systems and more. This includes reviewing the design of cathodic protection systems and other capital investment projects related to distribution and transmission pipeline corrosion prevention and monitoring throughout PG&E's service territory. Corrosion Field support Personnel also act as a liaison for the field providing necessary feedback and input to Corrosion Program Engineering on company standards, procedures, and processes related to corrosion control for transmission and distribution pipelines. The goal of the Corrosion Field Support team is to support employees in the field who have responsibilities related to the corrosion control program to help ensure asset integrity, compliance, and a high level of competency and understanding for the tasks being performed.
The Corrosion Engineer is responsible for providing technical and Field support to the Corrosion compliance organization, Corrosion Program Engineering and other departments maintaining and operating PG&E's natural gas transmission and distribution pipeline system. This position utilizes corrosion control principles to help departments comply with various regulatory requirements. This position also works with and maintains company standards related to corrosion control for transmission and distribution pipelines and is involved in the solving of technical problems related to pipeline corrosion prevention. It does data gathering for the construction and maintenance of cathodic protection systems and other capital investments related to transmission and distribution pipeline corrosion prevention and monitoring. The engineers are responsible for assisting training and developing corrosion maintenance personnel and their supervision. This position is the single point for corrosion support for a specific geographic area including troubleshooting and other problem solving of corrosion control issues. The engineer position is responsible for reviewing all transmission pipeline jobs for Internal and External Corrosion issue in the assigned area of responsibility.
- The Corrosion Services Department is headquartered in San Ramon, CA but the location is flexible. This position will support a region within the service territory.
- This position may require up to 50% travel within the PG&E service territory
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- 3 years of experience in a corrosion science or utility related field.
- Must have a valid California driver's license on day one of employment
- Travel Availability- This position may require up to 50% travel within the PG&E service territory
- GastransmissionIntegrity Management knowledge
- Pipeline cathodic protection system designexperience
- Pipeline cathodic protection system troubleshooting experience
- NACE cathodic protectiontraining
- NACE certified coatings inspector
- Project management experience
- Goodwriting skills
- Workexperienceand knowledge related to naturalgastransmissionor naturalgasdistribution
- EIT and PE license
- Knowledge of 49 CFR Part 192,CPUCGO 112E
- Strong interpersonaland communication skills
- Ability to workwell in a teamenvironmentas well as bothan officeand field setting
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cathodic protection system design, cathodic protection system troubleshooting and repair, corrosion failure analysis
- Gather cathodic protection and other data for evaluation purposes
- Monitor installation of cathodic protection systems for adherence to design specifications
- Assemble field data in spreadsheets for use in reports and documents
- Analyze field data and assist in preparation of reports summarizing corrosion protection status with recommendations for corrosion corrective work
- May diagnose and propose remedies for repair of cathodic protection where corrective actions are needed
- May review prior pipeline cathodic protection records and reports and prioritize corrective actions
- Assist with field portion of Engineering studies
- May provide technical consultation on a limited basis
- Assist with management of expense and capital projects
- Assist with auditing of cathodic protection records
- Is responsible for a portion of PG&E’s service territory and is involved with testing on the corrosion aspects of those steel pipelines. Also, collaborates and supports the gas maintenance organizations, corrosion investigations, and the installation of mitigation equipment
Employment Type: Management