Design Engineer (ESC), Civil - San RamonI'm Interested Date posted 05/27/2020
Requisition ID # 51102
Job Category : Engineering / Science
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Business Unit: Electric Operations
Job Location : San Ramon
The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
The Engineering and Design team of Transmission Operations Substation Engineering is responsible for civil, electrical and protection engineering work for all of PG&E’s substations. Civil design includes substation design of foundations, structures, grading, equipment seismic qualification, Spill Prevention Control & Countermeasure (SPCC) plans and modifications, and seismic retrofit of buildings and equipment.
This position is represented by Engineers and Scientist of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
As a Civil/Structural Design Engineer in the Substation Civil Engineering department, you will develop civil, structural and environmental designs for our large network of high voltage substations. You will prepare construction drawings and supporting calculations, participate in field reviews at substation facilities and discuss project objectives with other stakeholders in engineering, construction, operations and maintenance. You will use a variety of design tools, including MicroStation Bentley Substation 3D for drawing development, and SAP2000, ENERCALC, PLS-CADD and L-PILE for structural analysis and design. Design and analysis will be conducted for steel, concrete and masonry.
This is an entry-level position where you will work alongside licensed professional engineers and acquire broad experience for career growth.
- Actively promote safe practices and conduct in accordance with the Corporate Safety policy.
- Design and retrofit steel structures, reinforced concrete foundations, anchorage, retaining walls, control buildings and equipment supports per PG&E Design Criteria.
- Design access roads, drainage and soil retention systems, and grading and layout of new substations.
- Design spill containment systems for large oil-filled electrical equipment for environmental compliance.
- Prepare construction drawings using MicroStation Bentley Substation 3D software.
- Provide Construction Administration assistance to the Responsible Engineer, including review of shop drawings, RFIs and submittals.
- Review drawings and calculations prepared by others.
- Foster teamwork and innovation and embrace new approaches to accomplish our work more efficiently and effectively.
- Travel 10% of the time.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or its equivalent in education and experience to include education and design drafting experience totaling six years, or education and experience totaling four years including two years at PG&E as a Design Drafter or Senior Design Drafter
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver's License (or higher) by Day 1 of hire
- 1 to 2 years of experience in structural engineering
- M.S. degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- EIT or PE License
- Knowledge of building codes including ASCE 7, CBC, ACI 318 and AISC 360
- Experience with SAP2000 or similar structural analysis software
- Proficiency with MS Office products including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Ability to work in a team environment and support fellow team members
- Strong communication, organizational and leadership skills